Printer Communication Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Beth6

I always help my neighbor with her computer problems, but I can't solve this one.
She has an EPSON Stylus Color 480 SXU printer.
I downloaded all of the necessary things off of the epson website, and installed the printer.
Problem is, when we tried to print, an error box came up saying there was a communication error.
I've looked around in the settings and it seems like everything is alright. I think it has something to do with the ports. I don't think the printer has the right type of cord to hook up to the computer. (excuse my lack of terminology)
Okay, the printers 'cord' is small. It looks like something you would hook up a mouse with. It's round and small, not square.
The back of her computer shows a port that is for those big square plugs and has a picture of a printer next to it. Problem is, the printer's plug is the smaller round kind. Do we have to get an adapter or something? Or can I specify what port the printer is connected to to change this? I went into the settings and tried selecting the ports it gave me and it didn't work on any of them. So do we need to get some sort of adaptor or is there something else we need to do?
Originaly she was supposed to have a Cannon printer if that means anything....
Thanks for any help you can give :)

Hello Beth

As far as I know the 480 is supplied with what is called a USB port connector cable. It sounds as if you have a normal parallel port for the printer on your friends PC.

This link will take you to Epsons on-line manual for this printer and the Product Information Guide section should give you the low-down on connection options.

http://support.epson.com/hardware/printer/inkjet/sc48sx/documentation.html

The articles are in .pdf format so they might take a while to download.

Sorry Beth, looks like I've given you the link for the non-USB version, the SX, not the SXU.

Follow Brian's link not mine!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online