1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cswaro, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cswaro

cswaro Thread Starter

old printer didn't work, it just grabbed a page and pulled it through...new printer does the same thing.. no printing...uninstalled, reinstalled several times no help...installed new driver, no help...checked all ports and settings..also..can not copy files to disc anymore

2. norton850

norton850

What's the make and model of your printer. Will it print a test page?

Edit: Can't copy files to what disc?

3. cswaro

cswaro Thread Starter

printer is an hp deskjet 3820...it won't print a test page..the disc I'm referring to is the cd writer plus, my comp is an hp pavilion 542x

4. norton850

norton850

5. cswaro

cswaro Thread Starter

No, could not print sample page, running a self test didn't worked either. The printer made noises (like it was loading information or something) but did not print. Found a few things that I fixed:
    the FAX was set as the default printer - I deleted it..that set the 3820 as the default printer -
    Checked the port for the printer - it was set for 'USB ..virtual printer' -
    SPOOLSV.EXE is 'started' and 'automatic' -
    msconfig ...'Selective' startup was selected, changed it to 'Normal..' -
    did a system config thing ..'sfc/scannow' comp did a windows file protection (took forever, I ate 1/2 a bucket of Wal-Mart cotton candy) reinstalled the software, still no printing. And, now nothing shows up in the print que! :eek:
    Next thing on my list to do is the regedit but am apprehensive about doing it until I hear what you have to suggest.
    I'm wondering if my sister didn't install the wrong driver for the printer..it is described as hpsfx32..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice