1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed."

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chris407, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris407

Chris407 Thread Starter

Printers that were installed prior to the SP3 update function properly. But when trying to install a new printer by either using a printer manufacturer's installation disk, or by simply using Windows 'add a printer' wizard, the error message "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed." appears. This occurs when I attempt to install any printer from the list of printers shown in the wizard.

One other point to note is that when using the add a printer wizard, no printers are shown in the window that asks me to choose a printer from the list. Based on other XP/Vista machines, there should be a list of printers shown. When I choose "Windows Update", a list of printers eventually populates, but when I attempt to install any of these printers, I get the same error message after the driver files seem to copy to my PC (after pressing the 'Finish' button)

When I attempt install a random printer, the drivers do in fact successfully copy to the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\W32X86 prior to getting the error message. However, the printer does not show up in the list of printers available in the "Printers and Faxes" window.

I also removed the W32X86 folder from the drivers folder, and the new W32X86 that was subsequently re-created upon restarting the computer was also able to accept new printer drivers, BUT when attempting to install a printer using the wizard, after the files were successfully copied to this folder (by hitting 'Finish'), the same error message occurs.

I can install NO printers regardless of which printer I choose when using the 'add a printer' wizard so I'm confident that the problem is not due to defective/outdated printer drivers.

The spooler can be started and stopped per one Microsoft documented solution.

I temporarily replaced the i386 folder (C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386) using my XP install disk. But this did not help. One point to note is that the driver cabinet file that is on my hard drive is titled "sp2", but the driver cabinet file in the Windows XP disk was titled "Drivers". Perhaps there was an 'sp3' driver cabinet file that did not properly install during the sp3 update. I really have no idea if this issue is even related to the problem at hand.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this problem are greatly appreciated. I'm 'printer-less' at this point as my other working printers are a Brother label printer, and a Canon i80 with a defective print head!

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice