Printer drivers will not install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SKreme

I tried to login to a university network and that went fine but then when trying to install the network printers it stopped responding. The way I do it on XP is I connect to \\IP.ADDRESS\Printer.name and then it automatically installs the printer drivers but on Vista it doesn't work. Any ideas?

You either have to have a printer that has built in drivers in Vista or the print server has to have Vista drivers on it. With Windows when you share a printer you can install drivers for other OS' so when that OS connects it can download the drivers. Your university admins would have to install the Vista drivers on the print servers for this to work.

SKreme

Vista probably has the drivers built in but even if I install the printer manually how will it know that the drivers are for the printer on the network?

If you install it as a local printer you can go into the printer settings, click on the Ports tab and add a new port. In the details for the port specify \\IP.ADDRESS\Printer.name

SKreme

I have a XP/Vista dual boot. I have the printers installed in XP... Is there a way to easily transfer them to Vista?

Dowload the Driver Package again onto the Vista side and before you install, right clikc to properties and use the compatibility feature to roll back to XP then install the driver.

SKreme

Where do I get the driver package from? It automatically installs to XP from the network when I click add network printer and choose one from the network. How do I download it to the vista side?

You will have two partitions, one for Vista and one for XP. The default share is \\yourcomputername\C$
Create a folder named drivers and put it there. Download the driver package to there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online