1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drummr4, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drummr4

Drummr4 Thread Starter

Hi,

Having problems with a printer I use at work. Someone else that used it told me that the printer drivers were corrupted. He said if I downloaded new printer drivers from HP and installed them, the problems would likely be resolved.

The computer where the printer is hooked up is not available to the internet. Can I download the new drivers at home and put them on a floppy? Also, I don't want to download those drivers and have them install themselves on my home computer, so I'm a bit reluctant to do this.

I'm sort of a computer knucklehead....where do you go to find out if your printer drivers are corrupted?

Oh yeah....it's an HP 890C Professional printer on a machine using Win98.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Drummr4

2. slipe

slipe

There is no problem downloading the file onto your computer. It won’t install by itself if you follow the manual instructions and make the download rather than the install selection: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...dId=dj890c&lc=en&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

I don’t think there is a professional version of that printer – just the straight Deskjet 890c, which is a SOHO standard duty printer.

The file is 4.43Mb and a floppy holds 1.44Mb. So you are going to have to use a file splitter to split it into floppy sized parts and reassemble them at work. Most file splitters put the reassembly code on the first floppy so you don’t have to install the software on the destination computer. It will take 4 floppies. Try this: http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/

Floppies have become nearly useless as files get larger. A floppy for example won’t hold a single image from my digital camera even in JPG unless I shoot at very low quality. Best Buy has a 52X burner for $15 after rebate and Office Max has 50 recordable CDs free after rebate. You would darn near pay the total cost for burner and CDs just for 50 floppies.

3. n2gun

n2gun

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

May I ask what problems you are having with the printer?

5. Drummr4

Drummr4 Thread Starter

Sometimes it won't print when it "says" that the document is printing....sometimes it takes a few minutes to print what usually prints very quickly.....sometimes it "says" it is out of paper when the paper is halfway through the printer.....sometimes it is perfectly behaved!

That printer is normally used to print out UPS bar code labels, but ocassionally gets used for other purposes....small signs, etc.

6. Drummr4

Drummr4 Thread Starter

Oops, didn't answer the other posts!

I do have a CD burner that I haven't used yet.....will have to get some CDs for it.

The front of the printer says 890C Professional, but maybe that's not really the model. When I go to the HP website, perhaps it will specify.

Where do you find the printer driver files on the computer, and how do you know if they're corrupted?

Thanks for everyone's help!

7. mobo

mobo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice