1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer gone out of control!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chewbubba, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

Hey,

I installed a print server at a local business. They have two computers (one Win2K and the other Win98), a small 8 port hub, and an HP printer with the print server attached (a NetGear mini). When I left, all was good in the world.

They called me today and said that when they printed their daily stuff on Tuesday, it also printed Mondays. Then, when they printed Wednesday's stuff, it also printed Monday's AND Tuesdays.

I'm at a total loss at what's going on! Does anyone have any ideas? I need to get back with them right away.

Thanks!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Check the print spool settings in the advanced properties. Try setting to print directly to printer in RAW format.

3. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I failed to mention that she said this occurs when they reboot their computers when they come in to work in the mornings. I don't know if that has any bearing on the situation or not.

I'll give the spool settings a try too.

4. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I'm still in printer purgatory. :(

I changed the spool settings and that seemed to work, but when they print documents that are several pages long, Win2K coughs up a blue screen.

It is definately printing all of that stuff when the computer is restarted. It's as if the print jobs aren't going away after they've been printed.

Now what? Any ideas anyone?

5. Rockn

Rockn

How are the workstations getting their IP addresses and are they in conflict with your print servers IP address?

6. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I assigned all the IP addresses, so as far as I know they aren't in conflict.

7. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

The print server IP is 192.168.0.222, while the other machine is 192.168.0.1

Any hints, clues, guesses, or nudges anyone? :confused:

8. Rockn

Rockn

Don't you normally use .01 as your networks gateway address on your router?

9. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I meant the Win2K machine is 192.168.0.1. The print server is 222, so I'm pretty sure an IP conflict isn't it.
    I'm wondering if I shouldn't have used the NetGear wizard to install the printer on the computer.

Anyway, here's another tidbit that might lead to a possible solution:
    I noticed that when I went to change the printer properties, that it (Win2K) wouldn't let me because it said it had print jobs in the queue. I told it to cancel all print jobs, and then it allowed me to make the changes. For some reason, it's not emptying the queue after printing.

Helpful? Useful? Aaack! (Can you tell I'm getting desperate? :) )

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice