1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer hooked up to one computer, want to make it printable on entire network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ilusha2, Feb 19, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest Thread Starter

I hooked up an HP Deskjet 820Sce to Computer #2 on the network in the "Community Center" where I live. As I mentioned before, there are 10 computers all together on the network.

Now, I hooked it up with a parallel cable (to the parallel (printer?) port) to the computer. #2 is hooked up to the rest of the network, so in theory I should be able to get the rest of the computers to print to the 820Sce, right? I just need to know how, and so I need your help :).

Now, there is a LaserJet hooked up to the network, but it's hooked up right into the "central port" (i don't know what it's called) into which all the computers are hooked. So, I can print to the Laserjet since it's hooked up directly to the network.

But the 820 I can't. Because it's only hooked up to #2. That's why I'm eager to find out how to make it printable from the rest of the computers.

And also, there are two scanners that are hooked up to two different computers, but aren't usable on the entire network. I might be able to make them usable on the " " once I find out how to get the printer to work on the " ". Thanks everyone.

2. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Yes, you should be able to share the printer over the network when it's hooked to the parallel port of one computer. I have two printers hooked to parallel ports on one of my computers, and all the computers on my network print to them.

But first you have to "share" the printer. Have you done that? Right-click the printer in Windows, and select "Sharing" from the popup menu.

Once it is shared, you'll need to go to the other computers and click "Add Printer". Tell it you wish to add a network printer, and you should be able to navigate to the one you just shared.

As far as scanners, I only have experience with my Visioneer USB scanner, and I've been unable to access it from other computers. Visioneer told me it can't be done.

3. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Changing the subject, I couldn't help but notice you have a Celeron 566 mhz CPU. I don't know if your Compaq will allow you to change the Front Side Bus speed, but if you can increase it from 66 mhz to 100 mhz, your CPU will probably run fine at 850 mhz. (This will also increase your memory speed from 66 mhz to 100 mhz, which is fine since you have PC100 memory).

Celeron 566's were (are) famous for being stable at 850....I have one that's been running happily at 850 for years.

4. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    ilusha2,
    for sharing the printer, just follow Anthony's directions. Should work, although if there is an XP machine involved anywhere, it give you some grief before it decides to conform to your standards!
    As for sharing a scanner via a network. I have yet to see it done on home units. Even the all-in-one machines tell you that the only thing accesible via the network share is the print feature.
    JustMe2

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The printer should be no problem, but good luck with the scanners! :D I doubt you'll get them shared, I've never seen a scanner driver that would allow sharing.

6. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest Thread Starter

Alright, thanks guys. Anthony, how did you get your scanner to work on the network? I tried upgrading my Compaq to a 1.1 Ghz Celeron, but it didn't work. Still haven't figured out why.

7. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Um, I didn't. Apparently it isn't possible. It's not really that great a loss, since you have to be near both the scanner (to insert source materials) and the computer you're using (to control it).
    Two possibilities: Either the Compaq's bios doesn't support the multipliers necessary for the faster CPU, or else you got a different model of Celeron. The FCPGA and FCPGA2 packages run on different voltages, and maybe you got one that your motherboard doesn't support?

8. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..just thought i'd throw in something,
    ..i had absolutely no luck what-so-ever trying to use the wizard to install a network printer,
    ..'browsed' to the printer on the pc i wanted to setup, clicked on, said i wanted to install it, did so,
    ..and being we're inserting braggin' rights,ho's mine???

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804
    w/enlight en-8902 w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected],
    epox D3VA w/[email protected] w/2.0GB kingston SDRAM,
    w/trios w/98SE & W2KPro triple/single-booting,
    R.A.I.D. 0+1 w/[email protected]@7200,
    ati 4xAGP rage fury pro w/dual sony E500,
    sb live! x-gamer w/klipsch pro-media 5.1,
    netgear RT314 w/3com 8portTPO,
    dual V.92/V.44 external,
    3com 3c905c 10/100,
    acer 50x cd-rom,
    acer cd-rw.................
    (yeah, i'm BRAGGIN'!!!!!!!)

9. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..oh, and to install a scanner, [i've installed an ol' mustek 1200 that's piggy-backed with a cannon printer],
    ..all i did was install the twain drivers and software,etc., that was on the cd with all the software for the printer and scanner, onto each of the pcs on the network
    ..it is a piggy-back setup tho', don't know if that makes a difference,

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..hello ilusha2,
    ..was just checking out older threads i had posted in,
    ..didn't see this one as resolved,
    ..was your problem solved?,
    ..if it was, it's not necessary, but it is nice to post a reply acknowledging that,
    ..it's good to know because there are many others reading/following the thread,
    ..some even with a similar problem,
    ..some just seeking the knowledge so if they ever have a similar problem,
    ..the threads also get archived and there are those who do search them for an answer without just jumping in and posting,
    ..and then there are us ego-maniacs who just want to know, WHAT solved your problem???,

..if your problem wasn't resolved, then PLEASE post back; there are many very knowledgeable people here on the forums who truly enjoy helping others by sharing that knowledge,
    ..it might even have been that your post just didn't get read by the one who had the answer, don't give up!, post back!!!,

..so if you would,

..thanks,

have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice