1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Printer ink failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by micromos, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I have canon MX922 printer that has suddenly stopped printing certain colors. It is less than 2 years old. I thought it was just out of black ink so I bought another but there is no change. Currently I have tried to print a form that has green background and text. It only prints in yellow for those green fields. I also have blue text and gray background that does not print color. I haven't made any changes except to replace the PGBK250XL cartridge. All other cartridges show plenty of ink. The printer ink status shows all inks are filled. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You either need to run a print head cleaning or replace the blue tank or possibly the print head has failed. Blue and yellow make green so if you don't get any blue then you won't get any green either, black isn't used for any color other than black so not sure why you replaced that one. Ink over time can dry up or leak out, and when it dries in the print head it can permanently cause it to not print that color anymore without replacement.

Here's how to run a print head cleaning: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143803
    The article is for a deep cleaning but you can start with a regular cleaning first, pretty much the same steps except you choose Cleaning instead of Deep Cleaning.

Additional support documents can also be found on the Canon website: http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/serviceDetail?m=load&directLink=Y&mid=6992B003&type=D&opt=1

3. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I ran the deep cleaning but had to replace the blue cartridge. It now prints blue but a lighter color than the vivid one I have selected. The green prints fine now. Also, the gray areas print the light blue instead of gray. Would replacing the black cartridge maybe produce the gray? Also, what is the function difference between the 250 and 251 black cartridges other than size?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The PGI's are pigment black, the CLI's are dyes and are used for photo printing.

Do you use genuine Canon cartridges or refilled/re-manufactured cartridges?

5. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Hmmm, I do have the refilled cartridges in the printer. I always bought Canon before this last time. I guess lesson is learned. I will replace the red, black and yellow refilled ones with Canon now and see if it is better.

6. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I replaced all cartridges with Canon OEM and everything is printing fine now. Thanks to you I get smarter everyday. LOL :LOL:

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I know many people love re-manufactured/refilled cartridges and I even have one in my older HP Color LaserJet but so many of them are just utter junk, you really have to find a good brand that produces the right colors, doesn't leak, has the same amount of ink, and isn't defective. Some re-manufactured cartridges will actually damage the printers themselves.

8. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I should have known that because when I first opened the cartridge it leaked ink on my good shirt and my hands. Doh

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice