Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Printer installation failed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kenbok51 
#1 ·
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I am having trouble with my printer, although it worked perfectly well uintil Wednesday evening, when I printed an email. I didn't use it on Thursday, but yestwerday Friday 13th I was unable to print a simple email, a message about possible firewall problem, which I didn't understand. I am not very computer literate, such jargon is no good to me. Following a Readers Digest Manual for Vista, I uninstalled my printer, now I can't get it installed again - the message 'Printer installation failed, operation could not be completed (error 0x00000643)' came up, which is gobbledegook to me - why can't computers use plain English?! Please help!

#2 ·
Unplug the printer from the PC. Go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver and any software from the Control Panel where you remove applications. Restart the PC and install the driver from your Printer driver disk and any software you use (I recommend driver only unless you use software too). Re-boot and then plug in your printer. Often if you have a printer connected and uninstall the driver, when you restart, Windows will install a generic driver which messes with the real driver installation. So installing the driver from the disk before plugging in the printer often prevents that. If you have your printer manual it may have install instructions similar to these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.