1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer installation problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vance_iat, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vance_iat

vance_iat Thread Starter

I'm trying to help someone install an HP Officejet 5610 USB printer over the phone. I told him to put in the CD and install that way. He gets to the part where it says "Installing printer.." but after it gives an error that says that Installer cannot access registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\\CURRENT_CONTROL_SET\ENUM. I asked him to check the permissions on this key but he said that it doesn't say "permissions" as an option when he right-clicks on the key. Also he is logged in as Administrator. I also tried having him install by adding a printer and it cannot detect the printer automatically and Windows does not seem to like the driver because it doesn't install. I've tried different local ports and using Have Disk method and go through the CD but tt says that it is not signed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. oliver.d

oliver.d

Is he using XP Home or Pro, and what are you using? I'm not certain, but there are some differences between XP Home and Pro registry options.

Edit: Just looked it up, and yeah, he won't be able to see permissions on the regedit. He can try installing the following piece of software from Microsoft that may make permissions available:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp

Instructions: Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a temporary location on your hard disk. Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After the installation is finished, reboot your computer.

3. vance_iat

vance_iat Thread Starter

He has windows 2000 SP4. I'm using XP SP2. Do you have an idea what happened to the security why it won't let me install?

4. oliver.d

oliver.d

I'm not sure - but give that a go and see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice