printer mouse and keyboard wont work on any PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buttkid

Hi
I am new to this site and hope somebody can help me.
Today I attempted to install a Fujitsu siemens (FS) Port Replicator onto my (FS) laptop and plugged in the usb mouse, keyboard and printer all of which worked perfectly on this and other computers when I did so an error came up and none of the plugged in usb devices worked. I unplugged the devices and restarted the pc but still none of them worked. I tried them all in 2 other pcs and find that they do not get recognised in any machine even though the keyboard lights up and the printer is online and set to default. I have never previously had any problems. I have tried using a different cable for the printer to no avail and even tried re installing the drivers on one of the pcs. The printer still copies but will not respond t any requests from the pc.
Please advise?? Is it possible to reset all of the devices in case the software has caused problems?
Many thanks
John

Gr3iz

Mark
Was there any software that came with the port replicator? I know Dell used to include a CD with some drivers for theirs some years ago.

You say an error came up when you plugged the devices in initially. What error?. Did you already have them plugged in when you powered up? Or did you plug them in afterward? All at once? Typically printers need to have the drivers installed before connecting the USB cable.

buttkid

Yes there was software that came with the port replicator and the problem apears to have occurred when it was installing. The software that came wih the replicator was a USB-Port replicator04 driver CD.
I installed it wih the replicator plugged into the laptop and the keyboard, mouse and printer plugged into the replicator. When the wizard started to load the software onto the laptop it briefly flashed up a major fault occured. From that moment I have been unable to use the keyboad (which lights up) the mouse or the canon MP700 printer on any machine that they previously worked on. I have system restalled the laptop that I downloaded the software to and obviously the software is removed but still to no avail. I cant understand why the keyboard mouse and printer no longer work on any computer not only the laptop they were originally attached to.
I have downloaded and reinstalled all drivers for the printer which is recognised by the computers and is set as default printer but although correcly connected whenever a test page is sent for printing it comes up as printer offline.
Any other USB device is recognised and installs and works ok in the laptop and other computers including a different printer that works ok.
I am at a total loss please help.
Regards
John

If the mouse, keyboard and printer were only malfunctioning on the one PC then it would appear to be a drivers problem, or similar. As they are also inoperable on two other PC's then this would suggest that they are all damaged.

The "Major Fault has Occured" error message you received when trying to install the replicator would suggest that the device has a bad fault in its circuitry and that it may have produced a power outage into the three connected devices damaging the circuitry in them all.

buttkid

Ok thanks for that but I still fail to understand wh the keyboad still has power to the status lights and that the printer is stil reconised by the computer when he drivers are reinstaled. Also the printer still works in copy mode. I agree that it apears they must be damaged but I still have the feeling that somethng can be done because of this. Any suggestions?

I don't think there is anything you can do that will rectify the damage. The power indicator on the keyboard only indicates that it is receiving a supply and the copy function on the printer would just indicate that that part of the circuitry is not damaged. A most unfortunate incident.

buttkid

Thanks anyway mark for your time it is appreciated lesson learned I guess
Regards
John

Your welcome. I would try and claim something back for that USB Port replicator as that would appear to be the cause.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online