1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer not communicating, tried all suggestions....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kikicool, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kikicool

Kikicool Thread Starter

Hi there! My printer recently stopped communicating. I read the thread below, and followed the steps suggested in #8 by johnwill. My problem is basically the same as the one described here.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/524150-usb-stopped-working.html?highlight=johnwill

Nuthin' doin'. Any more suggestions? Some more (perhaps?) helpful information:

1. It's a Dell 962 All-in-One printer.

2. This started after I changed the ink in my cartridges (which I have done numerous times, rather than pay $20+ each time I run out of ink--no problems before). I thought perhaps I overfilled the color cartridge, so I took it out. When I try to print, I'm informed that I am missing a cartridge, and I click that it is okay. Again, I have worked with one cartridge when either has run out of ink. This shouldn't cause a problem.

3. The document begins to spool, and I get an error message saying that the computer isn't communicating. When I try to delete all documents from print list, the list just says "deleting..." or "printed...deleting" and refuses to leave the print queue until I reboot. GRrrrrr.

4. I went under Printers and Faxes, right-clicked on this printer, properties, and checked the port. It says it is under USB001, "Virtual Printer Port for USB;" however, my device manager lists neither a USB001, nor a virtual printer port. Could this be the issue?

Please note that I cannot list "tech-savvy" among my short list of outstanding qualities. :eek: In other words, I don't mind if you respond in the most basic language you know--you're not talking down to me!! I appreciate any and all help anyone can offer. Thank you SOOOO much!! Kate

2. cams-dad

cams-dad

Don't worry about the USB001, that's just how XP references the port that the printer is plugged into. Let's start by flushing the stuck print jobs. I'm assuming that they're still hanging in the print queue. Redo the steps that you mentioned in #3 (Delete all docs), it may change to "Deleting" and stop... that's ok. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Click on the + next to Sevices and Applications in the left window and then double click "Services" in the right window. Click the Tab at the bottom that says "Standard". Scroll down the list until you find Print Spooler, right click on Print Spooler and choose "Restart". That should flush the remaining jobs. Shut your PC completely off and disconnect your printer. Start the PC again, BUT DO NOT CONNECT THE PRINTER yet. Let everything open, once the machine is at the desktop and no more programs are loading, plug the printer into the same port that you unplugged it from. You should get a "tone" letting you know that a USB device was plugged in, check your Printers & Faxes section to see if it shows up correctly and try to print something.

3. Kikicool

Kikicool Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. However, I tried everything above, and no good. Still getting the "communication not available" message. Sorry it took so long to respond--I'm in the middle of moving. Ugh! ANy other suggestions? Thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice