1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odehart, Jan 9, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

When I try to install my Brother K8950DW on my Dell OptiPlex 790 I get a "no printer found". I can't download tsginfo.exe so
    Brother K8950DW
    Dell OptiPlex 790
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Ethernet add on card [onboard ethernet not working]

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the printer being directly connected to the computer by USB cable? Have you followed the Brother installation instructions step by step?

The installation process for my retired Canon outlined when to connect the USB cable and when to power on the printer. If the steps weren't followed, the installation would fail.

plodr likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I am unable to find a Brother printer model K8950DW.

4. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Followed all procedures exactly.

5. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Whoops J8950DW

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Yes most want you to install the software and turn the printer on when it tells you.

8. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Yep. Direct usb connection. The install is off the original brother cd and I have followed the limited steps required exactly which is connect the machine to the network. I downloaded and installed
    I downloaded and installed all the brother drivers as well as all the hp drivers. The brother installation disk still fails to find the printer. Is it even remotely possible that the brother, which is also used on a 64 bit machine, can't switch to 32 bit when the hp is on or could the hp not figure out what os it is running because it sees the 64 bit in the brother? I'm pretty sure that's not very clear. A conflict between 64 and 32 bit? For all background information. I need the hp to run one single program which will run only on a 32 bit machine and only on W7 or XP. Think XP might solve the problem?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I've never owned a Brother printer so I can't help you there.
    No, I don't think that is a reasonable assumption.
    We also switch on the computers which printer we want to print to. I have several printers as choices in various computers. When one is running low on ink, I switch to a different printer to print out what I want.

We've owned 6 HP printers and of that number, five are still in the house; three of them are used fairly regularly. Our computers are a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit and I haven't had a problem using two different networked printers.
    In fact, my daily workhorse was purchased in 2003 and can be seen and used by four Win 7 computers, one XP computer, and a linux netbook. The other networked printer was purchased in 2017. It's our first wireless printer.

First: check in Devices and printers to see that the Brother is not showing there.
    devices_printer.jpg
    If it shows, highlight it and under the menu bar at the far right, select Remove device.
    Reboot.

Read and do what it says here
    http://www.brother.com/inst/en/
    Don't use the CD. Most printers no longer come with a CD because it is out of date by the time the printer is sold.

10. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Didn't think so. Your solution worked perfectly!!

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yay! You have a working Brother printer.
    Do yourself a favor - ditch the CD so you aren't tempted to use it.
    Archive the driver (put it on a USB stick) and write the url of the site with instructions on the printer book.

That way, if you ever need to re-install it, you will know where to go to get correct instructions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice