1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer not printing ONE document correctly

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DKTaber, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Have one of the oddest problems I've ever encountered. Have a mail-merge document linked to a query in an Access database. It works perfectly on my computer, but does not work properly on the laptop and printer used by the non-profit client where I installed it. The printer is an HP OfficeJet 6600. Laptop is a Dell.

Thinking the client's letter had become corrupted, I tried copying my copy of the mail-merge letter to the client's laptop. Produces the same result, which is that the letter truncates every line half way across the page. . . as though someone placed a blank piece of paper on the left half of the page to blank it out. The MM letter includes the envelope, so for every record, you get both the addressed envelope and the letter.

In addition, when the MM letter is on screen and you merge it (clicking the "ABC" icon in Office 97-2003), it looks like some parts of the letter are on the envelope. . .but they don't print on the envelope.

The client tells me this is the ONLY MS Word document that does this; all other document print perfectly.

???????????

2. draceplace

draceplace

Try changing drivers on the customers printer. Take another printer to customer (or maybe customer has another printer) to test if drivers don't fix it. Seems the printer is the 'odd man out' here.

3. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

DKT I do not want to send you on a chase, I am not a MM guy, but I have been reading and just a couple thoughts. Looks like the maximum size of fields can be easily not found during the merge, so on a one-off solution, maybe adding a dummy field on that station with a length to permit the longest used later in to document will do it, Another possible I see is removing the headers on the merged doc and letting Word recreate them. How to's I found on Google. One more I just saw talks about the MM starting actually a line or 2 lower on the page, and the blanks wreaking havoc. Hope it helps, apologies if you have BTDT.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice