printer not responding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mdgt6

I'm using windows me,i try to print and i get the following message in the printer folder," error writing to usbprn01 for the printer(canon bjc2100): invalid access to memory location." I'm new to pc's so be gentle with me.This has happened only recently. the printer prints its test pattern ok .any ideas?

Hi – welcome to the board.

The first step with that sort of printer problem is to just remove the printer from the printer folder and uninstall the software. Reboot and reinstall the software. Works as often as not.

Remove printer: Start>Settings>Printers. Right click the printer and select “Remove”.

Uninstall software: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/remove programs and browse for the Canon printer. Highlight it and select “Remove”.

Follow the Canon instructions for installing a new printer. If the instructions require a “New hardware found” box and you aren’t getting it: make sure the printer is not in the printer folder and shut down. Unplug the printer cable and boot without it. Shut down and plug the cable back into the printer. Boot and you should get the message.

You could install the printer through the Add new hardware in Control Panel without so many shutdowns, but I think it would be easier for you to just follow Canon’s instructions for installing a new printer.

mdgt6

slipe,ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few times with no joy.
In the printers folder it shows the add printers icon,canon bjc2100 then another canon bjc2100 but this has a tick above it and copy 2 in brackets is that correct? i'm grateful for your help with this annoying problem!

The tic I think is the check mark for the default printer with the (2) indicating it is the second one of the same name installed. You have two installations of the same printer.

Were you able to install the printer EXACTLY according to the Canon instructions? If it mentions a “New hardware found” message did you actually get it?

First step is to delete the printer without the default check mark to see if it might be causing a problem for you. If that doesn’t help try following my instructions for the uninstall – you obviously didn’t remove the printer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online