Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

printer not working

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  rome75 
#1 ·
I originally had a problem with my scanner not working. I tried reinstalling the driver and that didn't work. One of your tech guys started helping me but left me for dead. So on my own once more, I thought I would uninstall my printer driver, reinstall it and then reinstall the scanner driver. After trying to reinstall the printer driver, I tried printing and a window popped up saying "error writing to the LPT port" I tried reinstalling a few times but keep getting the error. I have the Epson Sylus 740 running on Win 98. What happened and what should I do??

#2 ·
Hi rome75,
Is your printer connected directly to your pc or through the scanner??
I assume you are still using USb for the printer??
Shutdown, disconnect the printer from the pc. Boot and install the printer software. Then connect the printer.
Make sure your USB port is working??(Right click MyComputer, properties, Device manager. Check the USB controllers)
Shutdown again, Connect the scanner to the LPT1 port. Reboot and see if windows finds it then install the drivers.

#3 ·
Hello TW56...thank you for responding to my dilemma. OK...well I managed to get the printer to start working again, but I had trouble getting the USB driver to install correctly, so I had to settle for the parallel port. I am still having trouble installing the driver for the scanner. Basically what's been happening is I would run the CDROM for the driver, at the end it asks if you want to restart the computer, I say yes and leave the CDROM in the drive. The comp reboots and when Windows opens up, this little window shows up says "Warming up time: xx" and it counts down the seconds. THEN, this ALWAYS happens...when it counts down to 4 seconds, the computer just freezes!! This happens EVERY time! So I am forced to shut down the computer cold, and of course it has to restart in SAFE MODE. But I never see that "Warming up" window again...until I uninstall everthing and do the whole thing over again.

Here's the setup as it appears now. I've got the printer hooked up to the scanner, and the scanner is hooke up directly to the computer. Fortunately, since the printer is working now, all we have to work with is the scanner....

#4 ·
First, you need to forget about the printer - you should get the scanner working first. For the printer, it would be better to have that on USB, but lets try to get the scanner going first.

Uninstall both the scanner and printer drivers/software from Add/Remove programs and shutdown. Unplug both devices and boot the computer into Safe Mode and go into Control Panel, System, Device Manager. Remove any/all Unknown devices, Epson, printer and scanner entries under any category (ports, USB, etc) and all LPT# entries under ports and restart. Windows should refind the Parallel Port and install drivers for it, then shutdown. Connect the Scanner and boot windows normally. Go to http://www.umax.com/download/index.jsp and download the latest drivers for your scanner and install them - follow their instructions. Post back with the results.

You may also need to enter the BIOS(CMOS setup at boot - F2, F10, DEL, etc) and change the Parallel Port mode to EPP/ECP.

Also, has this scanner ever worked?

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply 666....just one question...how do I start the computer in Safe Mode?

Yes, the scanner has worked fine up til a couple days ago. I was scanning something and using Photoshop. When the scanner's application would open up, this little window pops up saying "warming up." Well this time after the window popped up, the whole computer just froze! And when I restarted and tried to scan again...it couldn't find my scanner! And it's been hell ever since! Ironic how I'm being saved by the Devil himself! :)

#7 ·
OK....well I did everthing to the T....except the whole "warming up" window thing happened again. I left out one important detail before the "warming up" window happens tho. When the scanner asks if I want to reboot, I say yes. The screen goes blank, and the words "Windows is now restarting..." appears. And it just stays like that for more than a minute and nothing happens. I get impatient and I end up hitting alt ctrl del. Then it goes thru the whole Safe Mode thing. I reboot and then that whole "warming up" window thing happens. Should I be more patient when it says "Windows is now restarting??" I think the longest I've ever waited was 3 minutes. What if I say "no" when it asks if I wanna reboot, then just reboot the computer myself, instead of the application doing it??

#8 ·
This is just a though but you may want to test the scanner on another PC.

It shouldn't take 3 minutes for it to restart, something is going wrong. You could try clicking No, and manually restart, or Select Normal Startup at the bootmenu when it wants to start in Saf Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.