1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer on Network Won't Print

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Howie M., Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

Hi. I'm trying to get my HP Laserjet to print using a second computer that is linked with mine via a Motorola router that I use for my Vonage line. The main computer prints fine so I know the computer works. When I go to the second computer (which has all the drivers installed) and I choose the correct choice of printer from the dropdown, making sure the main one is on, nothing happens in terms of the printer.

When I go into the printers and faxes in the control panel (on the main computer) I see the job but it says: Remote download document under "Document Name" but nothing under status. Under "Owner" is guest. The time submitted is correct so I know the computers are communicating but they are not allowing me to print from the second computer.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks,
    Hollywood Howie

2. stomp

stomp

goto start then run then \\ followed by the IP address of the pc that the printer is connected to or the printer IP right click on the printer and select connect.

3. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

Thanks for your help but I don't know how to find the IP addess for the main computer where the printer is attached. When I right click on the printer, and look under properties I don't see san IP address there either.

HH

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are some printers, HP in particular, that cannot be shared or cannot be shared except by computers with the same version of Windows. Do you know that your printer is supposed to be sharable?

5. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

I don't know if that's the case with the printer but I know that both computers are the same model and have the same version of windows which is home XP. Thanks, HH

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What Laser Printer is it. Sounds like the print job is at least getting to the printer's queue.

7. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

It sounds like you have an HP connected directly to a computer. If that is the case, your problem isn't a printer problem, but a network problem.

From the non-printered computer, find the computer with the printer on it using My Network Places. Double-click on Printers and Faxes. If you are properly sharing the printer, you will see it listed. Right-click on it and select Connect....

You will be able to follow along from there....

Courtney sends....

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Howie,

From your first post it sounds like you already have the network printer installed on the remote computer, are selecting that printer, and even see the print job - "I choose the correct choice of printer from the dropdown". Is that correct?

9. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

Yes, it is installed on the remote computer.

10. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

It's the HP laserjet 1100.

11. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

Courtney:

I went into network places and found two folders, one says local network that contains empty folders and the other said The Internet which also contained empty folders. No printers were located here. When I clicked on printers and faxes in the box to the left, I saw a few printers that have been set up. I made the shared printer the default printer which put a check mark next to it and tried to print but nothing appeared in the queue on the remote computer. When I go into printers and faxes on the main computer, the job is there marked remote downlevel document. So I'm assuming that the file that I want to print has to be placed into the folder that says shared docs that I had set up ages ago.
    I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks for your help. HH

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For starters, delete the print job that is sitting in the queue.

On the remote computer, what happens if you right click on the printer, properties and select print test page.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uh, please double check the following, 'cause I got confused by post #11.

In Printers and Faxes of the "owning" computer the printer has the sharing hand icon underneath it.

In Printers and Faxes of the other computer the printer in question has the pipe icon underneath it.

14. Howie M.

Howie M. Thread Starter

Bob:

I deleted all the jobs in the queue on the main computer.

Regarding post number 2 from Stomp, I found my IP address and did the run thing, found the printer and right clicked connect but still nothing happened.

By the way, at one point I had a tech guy in here and he had the two computers sharing one printer but since then there might have been changes made and this is preventing me from printing.

Anyway on the main computer page that says "Printers and Faxes on ...(my IP address)"
    there's a fax and four printers listed. They all have a zero underneath (no jobs) and one says "ready."

I'm assuming I should have two printers showing up here. The one that I use for just the main computer and the one that is shared, correct? I think I have two more added from the wizard that have no use.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll get there eventually.

Howie

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the printer shared on the computer it's connected to? What share name did you give it? When you installed it on the remote computer, did you select the option "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"? And then did you enter the name of the printer share? Example: \\<computer>\<printersharename>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/531961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice