1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer only scans quarter of the page?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SouthParkXP101, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SouthParkXP101

SouthParkXP101 Banned Thread Starter

Hi my printer (dell aio 962) only copy or scans a quarter of the page because the copy lamp only goes halfway across the scan glass ? i look in the manual for page to page but cant find a thing ?

thanks in advance

Dylan

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you saying that the lamp only travels part way down the glass, or are you saying that it's only lit across half the width?

3. SouthParkXP101

only travels partway the lamp is fully lit

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it is auto-sensing the image that would be common, but if it has an option set to only scan a certain size also that would cause the problem. So would a physical hardware problem cause it.

It's more likeley to be a setting, but not in the printer itself, but in the scanner software that you are using, relating to the image size.

The printer is actually a Lexmark (Dell do not make printers, they just rebadge them)
    I think it's actually a Lexmark x7170?

5. SouthParkXP101

well i diddent know that about dell umm thats just it ive never messed with the settings so i have no clue:confused:

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes as lkiwiguy said look in your manual under scan mode items. From the control panel (and probably in the software too) You can set the scan size for auto or a certain size document.

In the online manual its in the section About Your Printer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/962/en/index.htm

7. SouthParkXP101

well i did every thing and the detting are all fine but it is still scanning less than a quarter of the page

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Try a local copy on the printer.

That does not use the PC or its software at all, if it still only does a quarter of the page you have a hardware fault in the printer.

If it does the full page, its a setting in the PC software.

9. SouthParkXP101

local copy ?

10. SouthParkXP101

local copy ?

11. SouthParkXP101

local copy ?

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The printer you describe (Dell 962) is a Printer - Scanner - Copier - Fax.

If you put a page on the scanner glass, it should have a copy function to give you a copy (without going near your PC, or even without the PC being turned on).

All I am suggesting is that you do such a copy, as it will immediately tell you which end the problem is in.

I assume this is your printer here:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1763209,00.asp

If so, it clearly states that it's a copier as well (most aio's are)

13. SouthParkXP101

yes ive done a local copy it still dosent matter but it prints fine it just has problems scanning and copying

and that is my printer

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OK, interpreting that response, the scanner appears to have a mechanical (or electronic) problem in that it is probably jamming or stopping and then returning, with the result that only a quarter page is being scanned.

Any "setting" in PC software would not affect it in the stand-alone copy mode.

So now you know where the problem lies.

It's not in the PC.

To put it simply, the scanner portion is broken....

If it were mine I would be investigating by dismantling and diagnosing, but it's not something everyone is comfortable doing. Repair would be an option but I suspect the cost would be a consideration, relative to a new aio.

That model (962) is at the lower end of the price and quality scale, so repairs may be uneconomic.

15. SouthParkXP101

well its all i need i diddent even really need color but it is still under dells waranty so ill give them a call

thank you for you help

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice