1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer or the Application?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jts, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jts

jts Thread Starter

Can someone please tell me if its the printer program or the software
    program that limits the printing possiblities. I would like to print on
    continuous paper (banner paper) up to around 40 inches long X 8.5 inches
    wide using Inkscape and an HP deskjet 5650 printer.

I am being limited to one page prints. When I try to print banners
    using Ragtime Solo, I have no problems. The banners print just fine.

Please tell me, with custom paper settings of 40
    inches long by 8.5 inches wide, should I be able to print without
    problems?

Thank you EVERYONE for your help.

jt

2. firestormer

firestormer

I think it depends on both.

You will need to set up you application for the custom paper size

eg: MS Word File > Page Setup > Paper

You will need a printer which in the printing propories you can select either a User Defined paper size or Custom paper size. An example of how to set this would be in MS word go:
    File > Print... > Proporties

In the paper options box you then select Custom... and set the size.
    See the online manual here and go to page 17 http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00044028.pdf

3. jts

jts Thread Starter

I checked, checked, and rechecked every setting I can find setting everything to banner printing using banner paper with no result. The HP Print Preview always shows one paper to be printed no matter what the application and printer is set to. I did check the manual many times but I can not resolve this printing problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    jt

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

I think that the application has to be aware that you have a printer capable of printing banner, not just a 40" page.

You are using Word, and it is trying to print to a 40" page, whereas your printer knows it has 8.5"x11" continuous feed paper loaded.

I think it is the application (Word) that is giving you the problem.
    Perhaps an updated driver could get past the size issue, by fooling the application into thinking that the printer has "really long paper" capability.

5. jts

jts Thread Starter

I'm sorry... I should have been more specifc... I am using Inkscape which is a Vector Graphics Editor, similar to Adobe Illustrator(but its free and VERY cool), to create banners up to 40 inches long. I am not using a word processing program.

Thank you for your help...

jt

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

Different application, same problem. I'm guessing that Inkscape doesn't know what banner is, it is just a 40" page. The 40" page does not get properly handled by your printer driver, since your printer driver sees a 40" page, and it only knows of a 11" page limit (or perhaps up to 14" if it knows what 'legal size' is).

To handle banner properly a 'page length' defined has to be disabled. The printer should see a banner of unknown length come in. The printer then starts the printing and continues until the end, whether that is 5" or 50" or 500".

Thanks for the lead on Inkscape, by the way. I'm going to play with it.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I agree with ChuckE above, Inkscape would need to be specifically coded to bypass the Windows printer limitations as to default page length (as Ragtime Solo clearly does).

So I doubt there is a "setting" at all, some coding is likely to be required to be changed within Inkscape source code, then the application recompiled.

As it is open source, if you have an expert knowledge of C++/GTK languages, it would probably be possible for you to provide this "feature" for other users, but it would not be a "simple task" I would guess.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497368