1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer port repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

Hi, I picked up a old pc at a rummage sale for some kids in need. I fixed it up, all that I knew how to do. Except the printer port is broken, it got loose and fell inside the back! I was wondering if they are pretty much universal, if I could replace it from another old pc. Exactly how do I replace it? Info appreciated!

2. mobo

mobo

What does the port look like ? Is it a small rectangular slot ? If so go to the local shop and buy a usb card. as well take the case apart and remove the loose piece...

3. MCP

MCP

If you still have the hex-screws that were holding it in, you shouldn't have to buy anything. Open the case, and re-attach the original port back to where it was using the original hex-screws using some needle-nose pliers to tighten the hex-screws. If you don't have the original hex-screws, you can probaly pick up some new ones at Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, or just about any other electronics store.

4. ej

ej Thread Starter

got the port it back in, but the printer driver software says the pc in not communicating to the printer. I looked in device manager and everything appears ok on lpt1. Is there anything else I can check?

5. mobo

mobo

What operating system are you operating on ?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi ej

You might also check in the computers bios and see if you can change the mode that the printer port is operating in. (EPP, ECP,) That might make a difference.

7. ej

ej Thread Starter

I finally got the printer to work, but now I'm trying to add a Umax astra 1200s scanner. The printer is a HP Deskjet 710. I have the printer plugged into the scanner, and the scanner in the same printer port as was the printer before. I can't get the pc to see the scanner! I have the driver all installed. I did find this note in the readme files of my pc:

Important Information!

If you are daisy chaining the Microtek product to an HP Laser Jet 5 family of printers(examples are the HP Laser Jet 5L, HP Laser Jet 5L Xtra etc., you need to do the following in order for the two products on the parallel ports to co-exist.

HP LaserJet 5 family of products have two modes of operation, Host-Based driver and PCL driver. By default the HP printer installation software installs as a Host based driver, which prevents other devices from co-existing on the parallel port.
    1. If you have an HP Laser Jet 5 family printer already installed, you need to un-install this first. For un-installing the software, go to the HP Desk Jet 5 If not, go to step 2.
    2. Run A:\SETUP from Program Manager, Run edit box. Choose CUSTOM option (not TYPICAL) option.
    3. Choose the HP PCL driver for the HP Laser Jet 5 family and click on Continue. Follow the instructions from hereon.

this is what my error looks like.....

Attached Files:

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you considered buying a $12 parallel port and connecting the scanner to it's own port?

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi ej

I believe that you are getting that error because the scanner is not a parallel device. When I loooked it up online it said that the device comes with a SCSI cable. You will need a SCSI interface to run this scanner. Some SCSI cables will fit into a parallel port plug but they won't work there.

Per the site it looks like the S on the end of the model number means SCSI If you had a 1200P then it would work on a parallel interface.

http://www.umax.co.uk/support/

10. ej

ej Thread Starter

that makes sense. Hop do I tell if this old pc has SCSI? I know the scanner is, both ports say SCSI on them. Whats involved in making the PC SCSI compatible? thanks alot for your help BYTW

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

You would have to buy a SCSI adaptor that has the same output port as your scanner cable uses. Probably an Adaptec brand is best.

Heres some additional information for you.
    Old ISA SCSI card for scanner also have DB25 female connector.

Note : Never connect any SCSI device to printer port of your system with DB25 SCSI cable . DB25 SCSI and printer cable are two different cables. If you connect SCSI device to your printer port through DB25 SCSI cable then your device may get damaged.

12. ej

ej Thread Starter

uh-oh, hope I didn't do that. I have no idea if its an db25 cable, although I do know one end of it doesn't fit into any of my pc ports. So a db25 connector cable is the same fit as my printer cable port on one end? I'm thinking trying to add scsi scanner to this old pc may be more of a headache than its worth. How can I tell if the pc has a scsi in it?

13. ej

ej Thread Starter

does it look like theres a scsi? Heres a look at what I have....

Attached Files:

• pc.jpg
      pc.jpg
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Lurker1

Lurker1

Probably not. Most pcs didn't include SCSI adaptors unless you have a high end workstation. If you have a SCSI adaptor it should show up in your device manager with something like SCSI CONTROLLER. The DB 25 is the connection that fits the printer cable to the PC at the PC. So if you have connected the SCSI device to the printer port it could be damaged as the information in the last post suggests. Rather then buying a SCSI adaptor it may be better just to buy a parallel or USB (if your system has a USB port) Scanner.

15. ej

ej Thread Starter

Thanks for all your info. I learned alot anyway. I'm going to keep my eyes open for an old parallel scanner for them, thanks. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!