1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Problem on a Windows XP Networked computer (moved from XP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mraaron012, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mraaron012

mraaron012 Thread Starter

i posted this last week, but apparently my post was deleted.

We have a computer hooked up to a network printer. When I log on as Administrator, I can print no problem. When I log in using the regular public profile(I work in a library), I cannot print. I've tried making new shortcuts, etc. but I am frustrated. Our IT doesn't really care, as this problem has been going on for quite some time.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can choose an Administrator profile to log into, why don't you just continue to do so? Or create a password protected personal account with Administrative rights.

A general "public" account should NOT have those rights.

If the printer is intended for public use, but they cannot use it, it's a Systems Administrator issue and you should contact their supervisor or the official parties responsible for library administration if they are not addressing it.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I do not have any suggestions for your printer problem bu most likely your post was moved to the more appropriate "Hardware" forum, where it would be viewed by people more knowledgable about printers and the problems associated with them.

You might try looking there, and if you posted it last week, I'm sure it's several pages back by know. If it's still on this forum, you might find it by going back a few pages.

You could also look in "User CP" and clicking on "list subscriptions" which will show you all the threads you have made a post on. You can also click on your username, and then click on the "find all posts/threads by this user."

You may get some answers or suggestions in this forum for a printer problem, but you would probably get a better response in the "Hardware" forum.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Should have mentioned there was a server database failure last week and one days threads and posts were lost at that time.

5. mraaron012

Like I said, our IT person doesn't really seem to care and has blown this off for at least two months. The people in power know about this particular situation. It's not really a big deal, but it is just inconvenes(sp?) our department.

I've even given the profile administrative rights and create new shortcuts, but that doesn't work.

I've tried to disable certain restrictions with MMC but that doesn't seem to work either.

It's just that we sometimes end up having to play 'musical computers' because of a situation that should be

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

But have you tried creating a new profile? The old one could be damaged.

7. mraaron012

Rollin' Rog,

I tried to create a new profile with administrative rights, just to test it out. It still doesn't work.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

*sigh*, wish I had more for you on this, but right now about the best I can do is modify the topic title somewhat and move the thread to the Networking forum.

You might get lucky and find an experienced Network Administrator who would know whassup --

9. mraaron012

thanks for all of your help.

Hopefully someone in the networking forum can help me out.

Thanks again Rollin' Rog.

10. mraaron012

decided to up this since we still have this problem almost one year later.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I read the thread several times, and I'm still feeling in the dark. :( Maybe it's just my lack of understanding, but here are some initial questions I have.

The printer is connected directly to the network (not connected to a computer and shared)? Ethernet or wireless?

The problem computer is what OS and what service pack level? Connected to the network via ethernet or wireless?

When you look at the printer icon and its properties in the Printers and Faxes panel (using XP terminology) do you notice any difference depending on which User Account you are using? If so, what diffs?

12. Rockn

Rockn

Is there a server on the network? Is the printer an IP based printer or just a shared printer connected to an LPT port on a workstation?

13. mraaron012

okay the problem is just about solved. Our IT person caused this. He claimed it was 'first year stuff'(basically saying anyone should be able to fix this), but he couldn't!! If you're familiar with my previous posts, you'll see it's more of the same.

A young man who works part time here was pretty much able to fix the problem. The only problem we've encountered is when trying to access a computer over the network in which one of the printers is attached to, it says 'password has expired' whenever trying to log on.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice