1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer problem (Shared from another pc)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dickster, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

First the specs on the problem pc. Pcpitstop link.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KKBQLWGUL9NSPE1E

It's connected to a Linksys router and can connect with my other pc's just fine. But I can't seem to get it to work with my HP OfficeJet v40 All-In-One printer. I have the printer set to shared. But when I try to print, an error pops up telling me I have to install the printer. When I double click the add printer wizzard, nothing happens. The icon goes blue just like when you single click it, but nothing else happens.

Everything was working fine until I had to do a LLF on the host machine due to RMA'ing the Abit mobo. Reinstalled my old ECS K7S5A Pro and XP2000+ Reloaded W2K on the system. Everything else seems to work fine. On it right now.

Running W2K on all 3 systems. Any ideas why I can't get that machine to see the printer?

2. doggard

doggard

Have you allowed networking of the printer on the host machine?
    Once you have you need to search for network printers on the other PC that requires its use via add new printer [not local but networked] and once its found you just need to install the drivers.

3. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

There is where I run into my problem. The printer is set to share on the host pc. When I try to find the printer on the problem, through settings>printers and click add printer, nothing happens. It doesn't bring up the wizzard to locate the printer. It doesn't do anything.

4. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Shameless bump.

5. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Hmmm...... Must be a tough one. I know it's got me baffled!!

If I can just figure out why the printer install wizard won't open, I'll be half way there. The 3rd pc on the network sees the printer, but when I try to send something to it I get "A null context handle was passed from the client to host during a remote call procedure call" error.

6. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

One last bump, and then I'll try something else. Not sure what, but.....

7. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thought I had this solved by finding this.

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2800/rh2861.htm

But, didn't help. I have the P4 in the other room able to print now, so no more null context errors. But this pc 6' away will not run the add printer wizard. :mad:

8. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Ok. I lied. I'll give it one more try. Just need to figure out why the add printer wizard won't open.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!