1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer problem? software problem? hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kittymeow, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittymeow

kittymeow Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here (meaning I just made an account but have been lurking around every time I had computer trouble. This time however, I couldn't find anything that resembles the trouble I'm currently experiencing) and I'm hoping if anyone can help me or tell me if I should just throw my laptop against the wall.

I've had my printer (details and TSG SysInfo below) for over a year now, and never had any trouble with it. A few days ago, I needed to print something but wasn't able to (I can't remember what the error said, it didn't happen again) so I uninstalled the printer and re-installed it by downloading the drivers from the HP website. Pop-up balloon said that it wasn't successfully installed and when I would try to install the driver by going to print management and click on Printers I would get: "An error has occurred on the script of this page. Line: 40. Char: 21. Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'SetPrinterName'. Code: 0. URL: res://C:\Windows\system32\pmcsnap.dll/81". So I clicked on Drivers instead and tried to install the driver there and it said: windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error.

Do understand that I have no idea what I'm doing whenever my computer doesn't behave as it is supposed to, and everything is done by trial and error; mostly error. For some reason I felt the need to do a chkdsk /f /r which was scheduled on the next restart, but upon restart my computer refused to do it because a recently installed software prevented it to do so (again, I don't remember the exact error it showed since it all went so fast) and advised me to System Restore. When I wanted to do a System Restore I was told to chkdsk first. [They're just like my parents when I was a kid. Dad: Go ask your mom. Mom: Go ask your dad.] So I was stuck again, and didn't know what to do.

I uninstalled the printer again, and tried to do the chkdsk again. This time, it did do the chkdsk but the whole screen was filled with "File record segment xxxx unreadable". At part 5/5 it gave up and said "An unspecified error occurred", after that it would reboot and I got into a bootloop of chkdsk ending with "An unspecified error occurred" every single time.

Can anybody tell me what is happening? :confused:

Kitty

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Neo X2 Dual Core Processor L335, AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1919 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152521 MB, Free - 99230 MB; D: Total - 152620 MB, Free - 27745 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, MS1243X
    Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 5.2, Updated and Enabled

Printer: HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2060 k110a

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Could be the Hard drive has gone faulty. What make and model is this Laptop?

3. kittymeow

kittymeow Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for replying! That's what I'm afraid of. Is there any way I could check if it is indeed the hard drive? Oh, it's a MSI U230 Light, I forgot to include that. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!