1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joepacandoit, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joepacandoit

joepacandoit Thread Starter

I've installed XP on a new hard drive. Everything is good except that I cannot use my printer. When I try run it's software, and I click on the button to make my first choice I get the following message: This software is not supported on the installed version of the operating system. I've tried going to HP's site to download the driver, but when I get to that section of their page, there are no drivers there to actually download. I know I could use the wizard to add a printer. I've done that, but when I print it doesn't print what I type. Instead it prints goofy symbols.

Also, while visiting variousl sites I am told that the page may not display properly, and that I need to get java script. How and where can I get that?

Thanks
    James

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.......how old is the printer? It may not be supported.

3. joepacandoit

The printer isn't that old... maybe at the most 2 years. It's an HP with the copy/fax/scan/print in one. I had it set up correctly on my old hard drive under XP, but now I can't figure it out. I do have my old hard drive as the slave, if that open's up any options, but I'm not sure on how find or get what I need from there.
    Thanks
    James

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

Have you tried printing a test page? Also, check your spooler file, might be something there.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there joepacandoit...

On the printer, what you can try is right click on the Setup.exe for the printer setup, go to "Properties"- the "Compatibility" tab - and check the box for " Run this program in compatibility mode for : " Then select Windows 98...

And as for this...

What you will need to do is go here...

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

And get XP SP1 for the Java Virtual Machine ( it isn't included in XP )...

It's a Sun-Microsoft thing :mad:

6. joepacandoit

Great help as always. Thanks a lot.
    James

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice