printer problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deaddrop

I used windows ME before, now I upgrade to windows XP. That`s where all the problems begun with my hardware. For my printer, (epson stylus color 460) I realized that I need to update the driver so that it would be compatible with XP. So I found the driver and update the old one but still it won`t work. There is always an error w/c says, "communication problem".
From epson`s website, the only updated driver for my printer`s model is the driver for W2K and they indicated that it will work also for XP. I`m just wondering why I can`t make it work. Or maybe I`m missing something here.
I also tried letting XP find the best driver for that model but the error is still the same. My printer uses parallel connection. I tried to connect it to a laptop running on W2K, it works so it means that the printer is OK.
My problem is how to make it work in XP. I`ll appreciate very much if you could give me some advice. Thanks.

Did you look in Device manager for any conflicts? You may need to uninstall and remove any and all traces of it from your system.
Then you would have to download and reinstall the drivers again.

Probably problem in the LPT1 port of the PC.

Go in device manager, controller COM & LPT, verify the port setup (the best is ECP). For update setup of the port, go in the BIOS. If ECP not work, try with EPP + ECP.

If problem persist, in Win XP is possible refresh criver of the LPT port. In device manager, select driver for LPT port and delete it.
Reboot the PC, and the driver is refreshed and internal errors are deleted.

deaddrop

sorry that I didn`t reply right away because at the same time I`m also fixing the security of the comp. I also asked advice and there are a lot of things to clean inthe computer.
I verified the port setup; it was ECP. I didn`t have the chance to update setup of the port because I don`t know how to go to BIOS. I`m very sorry again for that. So I didn`t try if EPP+ECP will work.
I managed to refresh the driver of the LPT port and reboot the pc.But still it didn`t work. I hope you can still give me some advice to try.There`s no conflicts also. Thanks.

For go in the BIOS, at the PC Startup appear the line "Press Fx for Setup" or similar. (x indicate a number of a function key).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online