1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kitcat, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

Hi, I have had my printer a long time and my puter is saying hardwear cant be found, it still works, but in slow motion, what u think problem is? THANKS

2. norton850

norton850

When do you get this message? And what exactly does it say?

3. Old Bob

Old Bob

kitkat,

What "hardwear" can't be found ???

If your operating system can't find your printer, it's not going to print in "slow motion" or any other speed.

4. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

If I leave my printer on before turning my puter on, it will have a box saying found new hardwear, copying files, cannot install the hardwear, an error accourd during installation of this hardwear, the data is invalid, new hardwear might not work properly, but I have been using it and it works, but in slow motion....Thanks

5. Old Bob

Old Bob

kitcat,

The "new hardware" window that pops up is probably NOT RELATED to your printer. Expecially if your printer is working, even if it's "slow motion".

Have you added any new to your computer recently ?? There is probably "something else" that is NOT WORKING.

6. norton850

norton850

If it only does this if the printer is on then it does look like the two are related. If you go into Device Manager does everything look like it's working? If you have an Other Devices heading make sure you look under there also. Check "show hidden devices" also (In XP in Device Manager it's under "View"). What's the printer make and model?

7. Old Bob

Old Bob

Just a thought...

Is this a Hewlett-Packard printer ???

Many late model HP printers have "secondary features" that you never use AND never miss.

8. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

Im sorry to take so long geting back to u guys, my printer is a Lexmark Z-22 its not real old, but have had a few yrs, I cant find Device Manger, were is it on my puter, I have xp windows....Thanks

9. norton850

norton850

It doesn't look like your printer has anything like a smart card reader so I guess we can rule that out. How is you printerattached to the computer? I think it can be either USB or Parallel.
    Device Manager: Click control panel/system/hardware/device manager.

10. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

I have it pluged into the back of the tower in the spot were there is a picture of a printer and other cord into wall outlet, I found device manger and I dont see the printer in there is that what Im looking for? Thank u

11. Old Bob

Old Bob

kitcat,

Is the slot next to the "picture of the printer" about ¼ inch wide and ¾ inch high ??

12. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

yes it is

13. Old Bob

Old Bob

Kitcat,

Then it's the "latest USB connection.

14. kitcat

kitcat Thread Starter

What does that mean?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!