1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daviesim01, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daviesim01

Daviesim01 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just brought a "Dell All-In-One Photo 924" printer, I have uninstalled the previous printer from my PC, and when i try and install the new one that i have just brought, It does all of the install things and says its installed, But, when i go into Start>all PRogs> It doesnt show in the list, and in Add or remove programmes it does Not show.

I desperatly need the printer working as i need to get things printed off for work

Please Help

2. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

A printer should not show up in the Program List or Add/Remove Programs. It should show up in the printer window. I'm going to assume that you are running Windows XP because you haven't told me. Go to "Start," "Settings," and "Printers And Faxes." You should see the printer listed there. If you right click on the printer and go to "Properties" choose the option to print a test page. See if that works, if it does, your printer is setup.

3. Daviesim01

it didnt print a test page :S, it just saved it to my desktop

4. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Do you have the "Print to File" option checked when you go to print? On the printer page when you click print test page that opens (the one that gives you the option to change the orientation, the quality, etc...) there should be some option you can check and uncheck in the lower left area. If that is checked, uncheck and try again.

Also, in that "Printer And Fax" which printers are listed?

5. Daviesim01

"Print to File" aint ticked, and when i go onto "Printer And Fax" it just has Fax + Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

6. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok, then that means that your printer is not installed. Do you have the disk Dell sent you? If you, I'd try installing it this way:

In that "Printers And Faxes" window, click "Add Printer." Then, click "Local Printer Attached to the Computer" and "Automatically detect and install my Plug And Play Printer." Then, there should be an option in there to automatically search for drivers or specify. Click the specify option and click the option that includes CD-ROM drives. See if that works, and you get the HP Printer in that "Printers And Faxes" window. If so, try printing a test page.

7. Daviesim01

i right clicked on Microsoft Office Document Image Writer>properties>advanced > and changed ti to my Printer :D...Solved :p lol

8. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok! Let us know if you need anymore help.

9. Daviesim01

right now its saying its not connected, and the power light is on and its all workign fine, and the USB cable is in fine and so is the mains lead,

any ideas?

10. Daviesim01

???????

11. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok, is your printer listed as a printer in that "Printers And Faxes" section? If not, I'm thinking that you got anything to print was somehow a fluke...

Oh, and you shouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't answer a question in 13 minutes. There are a few of us around here that help, and most (or all) of those people have jobs, and other lifes. If someone doesn't answer your question in a day, then maybe try a bump, but a post with ????? doesn't help anyone.

12. Daviesim01

i went on word and Wrote to word TEST in diff colours and tried to print, and it says its not connected

And yes my printer is listed in "Printers And Faxes"

13. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok, when you go to print in Word, is you HP Printer selected???

14. Daviesim01

Yea in the drop down menu i Select my printer......and it still is "not" connected

15. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

I mean is your Dell All-In-One printer selected, not HP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!