1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by com885, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. com885

com885 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having a problem with my printer.

It's a Samsung monochrome laser printer ML-1665. The printer only successfully prints a test page upon installation. Any subsequent attempts at printing fails with an "Error - Printing" in the printer status menu, and an error message saying the "USB status is not available."

The printer installed and printed successfully on a separate computer.
    Both USB ports are working.
    The Device Manager says all devices are operational.
    In Serivces, Printer Spooler is set to Automatic. Its services Dependencies are Started and set to Automatic.
    It is set to Defeault Printer.
    I am using Windows 7 64bit.
    All drivers are up to date. I've also downloaded and installed the drivers from Samsung website:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/ML-1665

The following is from Windows Troubleshooting Report:

Issues found
    Problem with printer. Detected
    User initiated troubleshooting on a USB device. Detected

Potential issues that were checked
    Printer Samsung ML-1660 Series is not shared with the homegroup. Issue not present
    Printer paper is low or empty. Issue not present
    Printer toner is low or empty. Issue not present
    Printer has a paper jam. Issue not present
    Printer driver requires update. Issue not present
    Plug and Play printer Samsung ML-1660 Series has encountered a driver problem. Issue not present
    Printer is turned off. Issue not present
    A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing. Issue not present
    The USB device might have stopped responding. Issue not present
    The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems. Issue not present
    Print Spooler service isn't running. Issue not present
    Samsung ML-1660 Series is not the default printer. Issue not present

Thanks

2. pip22

pip22

"I've also downloaded and installed the drivers from Samsung website"

There are two drivers on that page, both win7 64-bit compatible, but as I understand it you only need one of them (the universal Print Driver is the preferred choice I would say, since it provides more options).

If you installed both drivers from that page they may be conflicting with each other and one will have to be removed.

However, if you installed only one of those two drivers, remove it and try the other one.

3. com885

com885 Thread Starter

I tried your suggestion. I uninstalled the drivers and installed the Universal Print Driver, and tried to print. But it brings an error message saying it "Can't Find Printer" even though its connected and powered.

Thanks

4. com885

com885 Thread Starter

Any more suggestions or ideas?

5. com885

com885 Thread Starter

Still need help.

6. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

1. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.
    2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
    3. Click Stop and click OK.
    4. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the Start Search box and press Enter, delete all files in this folder.
    5. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
    6. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
    7. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.

7. com885

com885 Thread Starter

When I tried your suggestion, I noticed that I didnt have to delete anything because my printers folder in the system32/spool directory is already completely empty. I'm guessing it should contain something? The printer driver perhaps?

8. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Nope, if it's empty that's good.

Remove the printer every way you know how (Delete in Devices and Printers and then uninstall drivers listed in Add/Remove Programs).

• Unplug the printer.
    After that, head to the Control Panel. Go to Administrative Tools. Go to Print Management.

• Expand Print Servers
    • Expand your PC
    • Click on Drivers
    • Delete anything related to an actual driver for this printer
    • Click on Printers
    • Delete the Printer if it is listed.
    If you receive errors trying to remove it, let me know and we will need to do more.

If not, reboot your PC.

• Download the driver from: HERE - Save it to your desktop.

1. Add the printer by plugging it in (make sure it is fully powered on and in the ready state).
    2. Go to Devices and Printers
    3. Click on Add a Printer
    4. Choose Add a Local Printer
    5. Choose Use an Existing Port and leave it as LPT1
    6. Click Next
    7. Click Have Disk
    8. Navigate to the folder which contains all of the driver files
    9. Click Next
    10. Finish Install
    11. Print a Test Page
    Good luck! Hope this works.

9. com885

com885 Thread Starter

Your first suggestion was OK. I could remove the printer successfully. I'm assuming you meant Device Management, though.

Once I connect the printer, however, it automatically installs the drivers for me.

Secondly, the Have Disk option of "Navigate to the folder which contains all of the driver files" doesnt work for me since the Samsung Universal Print driver doesnt appear at all. Apparently only *inf Setup Information files can be opened at this point. I have to open it manually install it that way.

Attached screencap to show what I mean: universal print driver is there, but nothing shows up

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  10. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

You need to run that file and extract the files into a folder somewhere in the desktop then navigate to that folder.

11. com885

com885 Thread Starter

I'm getting an error message saying "Theres no software to be installed" after extraction and clicking on the setup icon.

12. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

After you extract that folder, you have it somewhere on your desktop. Then go back through the Add a Printer instructions and when you get to the Have a Disk location, you navigate to that folder.

13. com885

com885 Thread Starter

I'm following your steps, but there is nothing showing in the Data folder when I try to install at the Have Disk step.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      112.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice