1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Program?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Boord, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boord

Boord Thread Starter

Background Info:

I work for a very large corporation. I won't tell you the name of the company, but it does rhyme with "Tears and Foebuck". My actual job is to keep the productivity of in-home repair technicians high. Maximize productivity, minimize overtime and customer inconvenience.

We use a few programs that assist us with this job, but two of them are even older than I am. It is so old that the newest version of Windows we can operate is Windows NT, or the program is not supported. My biggest problem with this program is that the only way to keep a record of anything is to print it. If the printer goes out, we have no records to speak of. Now, every night when I am don with the next day's routes I have to print out a bunch of reports that equate to a whole ream of paper. There are eight of us that have to print these reports and mine (almost a full ream) is the smallest. We then have to file these under the date of the routes. I find it hard to believe that my job is to keep productivity high for 160+ technicians but my own productivity is lacking.

Details of this program:
    DOS Based (I think)
    CANNOT highlight anything to copy it.

Now comes the time for my question, but keep these things in mind:

I have no control over what program we use.
    This would not be a change made by me, just a suggestion to my supervisors.
    I am not looking to change this program, just find a way around its problems.

Question: Are there any programs that would let you convert the "Print" option to where the program thought it was printing, but was just saving it as a document, or even an image so that a digital copy could be kept cutting the cost and bulkiness of these reports?

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Absolutely...use a program like CutePDF from www.cutepdf.com to create a "printer" that will create a PDF file when printed to.

Good luck at "Tears and Foebuck"

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That would probably work if the program wasn't DOS based. Can't say I have tested any of the Print to PDF programs in Windows NT.

This may be an option for you.
    http://www.dsbglobal.com/dosprinter/CaptureLpt1.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice