printer sharing - 2000/xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cyberpac9

i have a desktop running win 2000 which has a dell laser printer connected. i have a laptop, running win xp, connecting to the network wirelessly. i am trying to configure my laptop to be able to print wirelessly but for some reason cannot get the laptop to find the printer....what do i need to do? (everything i have been able to find discusses connecting an xp machine to an xp machine...not xp to a 2000 machine)....

please help me out...;)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
make sure each computer is in the same workgroup.
make sure file and printer sharing is installed on the 2000 computer and share the printer.

cyberpac9

i figured it out...i was using the wrong printer name...i was typing in the actual name and not the "Shared as" name...that was causing the error...thanks!

cyberpac9

Squashman said:
You could have just browsed the network for it.
well i tried that...but all it would give me was a tree like so:
network
-workgoup
--computerName

i expected that if i double-clicked on computerName it would list the printer but it wouldn't...this is where the option was available to type in the name...i eventually typed in the correct one...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online