1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Sharing Headache

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CassilineKnight, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CassilineKnight

CassilineKnight Thread Starter

I'm trying to do Printer Sharing...between my mom's laptop and the main family PC which has a printer connected to the back thru a USB cord.

We had setup Printer Sharing a few months ago when I had a sonyvaio notebook and the same desktop after some difficulty and stress. At this time we had a Netgear wireless router which both computers were connected to wirelessly. The main issue was that while both systems where showing up on the Network map I was unable to click on the desktop's icon and access the printer that I had set to be shared. It turned out to be the Norton Internet Security was the issue. Now after changing the wireless network to being trusted under Norton 2008 I was able to get the computers talking and able to set it up fine.

So what's changed? There are 3 BIG DIFFERENCES.

1) NOW my mom has a HP Pavilion dv5t BUT we still have the SAME EXACT family computer (HP Pavilion a6460t). Both systems are running Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1 32 Bit.

2) We no longer have the Netgear router. We replaced it with the Linksys WRT610N. Why!? Because it has Dual N Band and I wanted 1 band for my 2.4 GHz devices and for the 5GHz band to only broadcast Wireless N only.

3) Now we're using NIS 2009 on both the laptop and the desktop.

I'm trying to setup Printer Sharing for her so she can print from her laptop to the printer that's connected thru a USB cable to the desktop computer. However I'm experience difficulty yet again and don't have a clue as to what's going on.

Right now both computers are set to "Private Network" on the Network & Sharing Center.

Network Discovery is ON for both computers.

Printer Sharing is turned ON on both computers.

Password protected sharing is turned off for both computers.

Both the laptop and desktop are connected to the SAME wireless router (Linksys WRT610N).

Also to be clear the Workgroup for both systems is "HOME"

The laptop's computer name is "JSimpson-PC" and the desktop's name is "MAINFAMILY-PC".

Yet when I go to the "Network & Sharing Center" and click on "View full map" the map on my the desktop ends up showing ONLY the desktop connected to the router connected to the internet globe. It's like it does not recognize the laptop that's connected to the SAME wireless router (Linksys WRT610N)

I go to the dv5t and I go to Network & Sharing Center, click on "View full map" and the SAME thing happens. The map shows the laptop's PC Name connected to the router connected to the Internet globe. Again it's like the he laptop does not recognize the desktop.

As for NIS 2009 I tried changing the network trust level to FULL TRUST and that didn't change anything...so I don't know what else to do or what's going on. I also tried disabling the firewall for a period of time. I restarted the computer and I still had the same problem.

I tried contacting Linksys thinking it might have to do with the wireless router but they told me that it has nothing to do with them and that I should contact MS or HP. But I was wondering if maybe someone on here who's expert may know something.

Please note that I’ve been trying to “ping” the desktop from the laptop throughout this entire process. The message I keep getting back is this:
    Okay I typed "ping 192.168.1.102"

"Pinging 192.168.1.102 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.101: Destination host unreachable.

Ping Statistics for 192.168.1.102:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,"
    I then try: \\192.168.2.102 in the run window. This is what I get back.
    Response:

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.102

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Details:

Error code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found.

I clicked on Diagnose and it said...

Cannot communicate with 192.168.1.102.

Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.

Windows has found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Contact your ISP or network administrator forh elp or click here for information about things you can try to help resolve the problem...

UPDATE:

I uninstalled NIS 2009 from both the laptop and the desktop.

I then restarted the 2 computers. Connected them both to the same router. Gave it a few minutes. Then I went to the Network and Sharing Center and clicked on "view full map".

And the same problem that I originally posted about still occured. Again the laptop network map ONLY showed the laptop computer, the router, and the internet globe icon.
    The desktop network map ONLY showed the desktop computer, the router, and the internet globe
    So based on that I don't think it's NIS 2009 at all. Is that correct?
    Also based on what I've JUST told you what do you think the issue could be or might be? And then what I should do about it at THIS point?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Turn off all firewalls until you can ping each machine.

You might be able to also start in safe mode with networking for a test, many times the security programs don't load that way.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see this for each machine.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

By the way, when you uninstalled NIS, it turned the Windows Firewall back on. All you really had to do is put an exception in NIS for 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0.

In Vista, you must make sure you are on a private network. In XP, you must enable file and print sharing on the local network.

Courtney

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice