1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Sharing on WinXP sp2 always shows the Printer as OFFLINE.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by volatksc, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volatksc

volatksc Thread Starter

I have an older IBM Aptiva 333 M Hz that I just upgradedfrom Windows 98 Basic(with all updates) to Windows XP SP2. The Aptiva is hardwired to a router and Lexmark X6100 Printer. A laptop and homemade computer are connected via wireless to the router, both are running Windows 98 Second Edition. The network works properly for File Sharing. Network Neighborhood on both the wireless computers see that there is a shared printer on the Aptiva. To both wireless computers the printer always appears to be OFFLINE. The printer operates properly with the XP updated Aptiva Prior to the upgrade, with the Aptiva on Win98 Basic and the two wireless computers on Win98 Second Edition, all network functions operated correctly, including printer sharing.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "To both wireless computers the printer always appears to be OFFLINE."

And you can't right click on the printer and change it to ONLINE?

3. volatksc

volatksc Thread Starter

i did go back and check for an off line condition on the hybred desktop. It wa selected as off line. Clearing that did not correct my problem. I decided to go back thru each and every configuration change SLOWLY, documenting each change. After a reinstall of the printer on the host and driver update, the hybrid connected and started printing. With all my goofing around the Laptop was in sad shape. Using CSAFE, I restored the Laptop to a configuration prior to the XP upgrade. Wala everything works. Apparently for the four days of frustration I was continually making the same activation error. Thanks for your suggestions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice