1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer sharing over Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emac921, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

Hi there! My problem;

1) I now have a cable hookup with 2 units which works fine - internet sharing and printer sharing.

2) I am changing to a 56K dial-up because my wife needs a
    public IP address for her business use, my cable hookup uses
    1 private IP address.

3) We can both log-on using 1 or 2 dial-up numbers, but from 2 different home phone lines - if we so desire.

4) My question: How do I set up my one printer to use my 2
    computers, both have 1 NIC card and I have a Ethernet Cat5
    cabling from unit #1 location to unit #2 location.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ArsePit

ArsePit

emac921,

Is your Ethernet Cat 5 wire a crossover cable?

3. ArsePit

ArsePit

Sorry accidentally submitted there ...
    Is your Ethernet Cat 5 wire a crossover cable? If so then to install "File and Printer sharing" follow the steps for both of your OSs:

Windows 98 --- Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network -> Add -> Service -> File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks

Windows NT --- Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network -> Services -> Install -> Service -> File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks

Windows 2000 --- Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial-up connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Install -> Service -> File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks

Then on the computer that you have the Printer physically attached go to Start -> Settings -> Printers -> Right click on printer -> Sharing -> Select what name you want to share the printer as -> Ok

You will probably have to reboot the computer if it is 98 or NT. In some cases the computer that needs to access the printer requires drivers.

I hope this helps

4. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

Cat 5 cable is straight thru, because I was using a Linksys router.

I will have to rewire the cable for crossover use.

Another question. I go from my puters NIC card to a wall jack,
    using a Cat 5, 6'patch cable (straight thru). Then 60 feet over the attic (straight thru) to another wall jack. Then to wifes puter's NIC with a 15' staight thru patch cable.

Where do I start the crossover business? You see I have 3 separate pieces of straight thru CAT 5 cable: 1 patch cable 6' long, 1- 60' hunk over attic (wall jack to wall jack), and finally 1 patch cable 15' long. All are wired 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and 6 to 6.

Thanks for the help.

5. ArsePit

ArsePit

Earl,
    Ah! So you are not using the Linksys hub? Do you have a patch panel in yer house(just curious)? The reason I ask these questions is because the hardware does the work of what a crossover cable does.
    Read http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/crossover.html to learn about crossover cable. :D

So you only need to have a crossover cable going from ONE computer to the wall jack because the straight cable will carry the Crossed signals to their proper destination without any problems.

Make a length of crossover cable at least 6feet long ADD some extra feet if you are in a large room and you could rearrange your setup. I would make it at least the length of the room because it is a permanent thing.

Good Luck!!!

6. ArsePit

ArsePit

Earl,
    I forgot you do not want to ruin a length of cable incase you decide to expand your network. I recommend Option C in the link http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/crossover.html ... same as the author does.

Question: Are your RJ-45 Jacks wired the same? If NOT, I have not yet heard anyone doing it this way but it is possible, the wall jacks being crossed could work for Straight Twisted Pair.

If you have any problems please reply or start a new post.

Sorry for any confusion ... but you always have that in a learning experience.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice