1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer sharing over two networks, one secure. VPN?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wwbrick, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwbrick

wwbrick Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks in advance for reading. I'm fairly capable, but a temporary replacement for a real tech guy.

The setup is as follows:
    Internet in to one Qwest PK5000 wireless modem, which provides wireless internet access to two remote workstations.
    One Netgear wired router, connected to the Qwest in order to provide internet access to a main workstation while segregating it from the less secure wireless network.

PC1 and PC2....(wireless)......|QWestModem|_____(wired)_____|NetgearRouter|______|mainPC|

With the Internet in to the QWest ^ and the printer in question connected to the mainPC ^

Neither the printer nor the main PC are wireless-capable. They are connected via USB.
    As currently configured, the Qwest is assigning 192.168.0.xxx. The Netgear is assigning 192.168.5.xxx, with the only computer connected to it being the main PC with a static IP of 192.168.5.2.

My question is how best to set things up so that a remote PC can use the printer (through the Netgear network and main PC) with minimal security risks to the main PC (which is, after all, on it's own router for added security).
    As I understand it, I could set the second router to a different range of IPs on the same subnet as the first, but that would negate the security advantage of the second network. The other options are DMZ, Port Forwarding, and VPN (as I understand it). The first two appear to open up some security risks, so I'm leaning towards the VPN.
    As I said, my experience is limited and I'd appreciate the advice/instruction of those who really know what they are doing. Thanks again.

Cheers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice