Printer sharing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigsam13

Need some help with printer sharing. I would like to share the printer. I set up a wireless network between 2 machines.

Machine 1 - In the living room. Windows 2000- wired directly into the router and USB printer attached. I set up printer sharing and file sharing. Can access machine 2 no problem.

Machine 2 - In daughter's room. Windows 2000. wirelessly accessing the router and internet. Can access machine 1 no problem. Set up the network printer. It can see it, but when you go to print, print manager gets to 4 bytes and stops. Have to stop and restart the print spooler service to be able to print on machine 1. It actually worked a couple of times, but rarely.

Question: Do I have to set up the software that came with the printer on machine 2? Printer is a Lexmark X75 All-in-one. Lexmark website runs you through the standard procedure for setup. Doesn't mention installing the software on 2nd machine. If you need anymore information, let me know. And thanks for taking the time to read this!!

You need to install the printer on machine #2. Start->control panel->printers
Then install network printer and it should ask for the driver or cd. You should probably make this the default printer as well.

bigsam13 said:
Need some help with printer sharing. I would like to share the printer. I set up a wireless network between 2 machines.

Machine 1 - In the living room. Windows 2000- wired directly into the router and USB printer attached. I set up printer sharing and file sharing. Can access machine 2 no problem.

Machine 2 - In daughter's room. Windows 2000. wirelessly accessing the router and internet. Can access machine 1 no problem. Set up the network printer. It can see it, but when you go to print, print manager gets to 4 bytes and stops. Have to stop and restart the print spooler service to be able to print on machine 1. It actually worked a couple of times, but rarely.

Question: Do I have to set up the software that came with the printer on machine 2? Printer is a Lexmark X75 All-in-one. Lexmark website runs you through the standard procedure for setup. Doesn't mention installing the software on 2nd machine. If you need anymore information, let me know. And thanks for taking the time to read this!!
I've never had to install a network printer locally on a remote machine--when you add the printer to the local machine (as a network printer), it should automatically install what you need on the remote machine. It won't hurt to install the printer drivers on the remote machine from the CD, but I don't think its going to use that to print over the network because it will install that as a local printer and you won't be able to use that to print over your network.

I would delete the printer on the remote machine and try installing it again (as a network printer) if the local install of the drivers doesn't work.

Check with Lexmark if this model will actually work in a "shared" capacity over a network, I am aware that some of their models will not do so.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online