Printer Spooler keeps stopping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Longstreet85

Printer Spooler keeps stopping. I've got a laptop (Vista 32) that was connected to a network and could print through an XP machine.

Then the printer spooler stopped, and it refused to start again. I've scoured the internet trying to find a way to fix it, but i have failed. I can't even try to "add a printer."

I"m afraid it doesn't take much for something to get out of my depth on the computer. But after a few hours a day, I really need your help :(.

Any thoughts?
----
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82, x64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 295338 MB, Free - 132935 MB; D: Total - 9902 MB, Free - 1754 MB; F: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 58274 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 30FD, 01.54, CND8352R87
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Not Updated (that's embarrassing... I'll fix that pronto!)

Longstreet85

Tried that already. I can't even click "add printer" without getting an error message because of the printer spooler not running.

also check your firewall settings as i had a similar issue one time after a set of routine updates were installed it blocked my wifi printer. felt like a dummy even called the printer company complaining.

Longstreet85

On both fronts, no :-(.

The only thing--I checked device manager--but didn't quite know what to look for. There were, however, no obvious surprises.

I'm going to tear out my hair soon :-(

the pulling out of the hair would result in earily hair loss and growth prevention, i would not recommend unless you admire the mr.clean look. im sure its pretty simple. so lets start with some basics here. do you have a cd that came with the printer? also have you ever ran another printer on that computer besides the printer your using now?

lets try one thing here, go ahead and unplug your printer from the computer then go into controll panel and click on add hardware. select i have already connected the hardware but dont hit ok. plug the printer back in and about a second or two after you do that, then click the ok button. it should do a search of recently connected hardware. let us know what happens after that. also can you provide specs about your printer for example the year make and model#s and if you still have problems, would you please provide a screen shot? just press the print screen button when you get the error, and then go into microsoft paint program and click edit tab and press paste, then you can cut out excess picture to focus on the error. then save as a Jpeg image.

another thought is that becuase printers come with thier own set of drivers, they also include thier own printer spooler drivers. windows comes with that driver to use with any printer so in some cases the two spoolers counteract eachother. do you know off hand if your using the windows one or the printer one? let me run through the process as ive not had this problem for some time, i will report back with a directions list on how to remove the unnessisary spooler becuase i do believe your running 2 and that would cause the problem.

1. ok first we need to access the list of all running services on your computer. click on start button, and in the run text area, type " services.msc " without the quotes. next you services list will open. you will see a very large list of items running on your system. now depending on the brand of the printer, the driver name will look different, such as my deskjet printers driver service name is hpsserver2050 and the windows spooler name is just print spooler. so if you see the one for your printer and also the windows one, then one must be stopped. for now focus on the print spooler. we need to reset this for it to auto configure to the printer. to do this, right click on the print spooler, and click stop. and then right click on the start button and go to explorer. next type this in your search area " c:\windows\system32\spool\printer " as always, without the quotes. now in this folder there should be some files of the print que. and probably some of the files were from the recent, failed prints. delete everything in this file. do NOT delete the file itself as that would be a bad mistake. now exit from explorer and open up the services list again. find the print spooler and right click it. click on start.

2. after that it should print. if it does not, go into your add remove programs located in the controll panel. find your printer program/s, and remove them. ( make sure that you have your printer cd before doing so as it would save time looking for it on the internet ) next its time for the driver removal of the ol printer program. go back to the control panel, locate your system check and open that up. navigate to your device manager. on the list, find your printer and right click on it. select the driver tab and uninstall the supporting drivers for the printer. go ahead and use your printer cd. put it in the computer and reinstall it. after its re installed, go back to the device manager, find the printer, right click, driver tab, and click on update drivers to search for newer supporting drivers for that printer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online