1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer spooler not working over network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heehahahahee, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heehahahahee

heehahahahee Thread Starter

I have a HP deskjet 5700 series printer connected to my computer, which is running Windows XP Pro. This computer is connected via Wi-Fi to several others, to share this printer and our Cable Internet. Anyway, I just tried sending a file from the server computer, which is running Windows XP Home to mine to print it, and an error popped up that said "the printer spooler is not working". I tried turning the printer off and clearing the print queue, but that didn't change anything. I can share files anywhere on the network without a hitch, and my computer will print perfectly fine...It's only when another computer on the network tries to use the printer the error comes up. It worked fine a few days ago...And it can't be my Wi-Fi connection because my computer shows good signal strength and it is using it to access the Internet as I write this post. Any ideas on why this started happening?

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Did you check start>printers>(right click printer name>right click sharing)
    If every computer has the printer listed? If the host computer has sharing checked?

3. heehahahahee

Yes, I checked that and share this printer is checked and the other computer does see mine....I do have file sharing

4. MTDRoddin

MTDRoddin

OK lemme get this straight sorry so your pc is the windows xp pro right? and the printer is hooked up to ur pc. So your pc will act like a printer server, so it have to be on before anyone else print from their pc. then, you have another pc with is the Windows xp Home right and that pc won't print an i correct? but you can share files fine and the XP Home pc and see the printer. So it looks like you have driver issues.

My best bet is to reinstall the Window XP Home printer drivers.

Anyone else got a better idea? heh heh...

5. heehahahahee

yep you got it all right.........so how do i do that?

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

7. thunder466

thunder466

Yes you do need a printer driver installed on both computers, the best way to do that is to copy the driver disk onto "my shared files" and share them with the other computers. Then you can download the drever from the other computers. That will give the other computers on your network access to your printer. make sure you can "ping" the other computers from yours. You can do that by going to "start" "run" "cmd". that will give you DOS. From there you type "ping (ip adress)". You can find the IP adress by going into the DOS and typing "ipconfig". That will give you the IP adress of the computer you are currently on. Does that help?

8. heehahahahee

thanks! I did have the driver installed on both computers...don't know why it quit on the one... anyway, yes I can "ping" the other computer from mine. I don't have the driver CD, so could I get the files right off my computer and share it? If so, where could I locate those files on my computer?

9. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

The url I posted earlier will provide you with drivers

10. heehahahahee

Cool... I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

11. heehahahahee

TA DA! I reinstalled the driver on the xp home pc using that link, and my printer is working without a hitch. Good job MTDRoddin, and thanks for the link DaddyHominum!!!! *thumbs up*

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475880