1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer suddenly printing colors incorrectly

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jlyn099, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlyn099

jlyn099 Thread Starter

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, HP Deskjet D2430. Printer has always worked fine until a few weeks ago when this problem suddenly appeared. Did a printer self-test..all colors print correctly. Print a Windows test page or anything else..prints really weird colors. I am totally stumped. Tried new print cartridge, uninstalling, reinstalling, downloaded new drivers, still same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Jessica

2. dvktc

dvktc

have you tried to align the printer cartridges.

3. dvktc

dvktc

or calibrate the colors of the printer. you can find these in printer preferences -> device services

4. jlyn099

jlyn099 Thread Starter

Yes, I did align the print cartridges. But still, the really odd thing is that the printer's self-test page comes out perfectly, all colors fine. It's just everything else (Windows) that prints incorrectly.

5. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

If windows is printing the pages wrong, then it's a communication issue between which ever program you are using and the printer.

It's not a hardware issue, but a software one.'
    Try this.

Open Paint.
    Draw a few different colored lines.
    Print using default settings.
    If the page comes out good, your problem is whichever program you normally use to print.
    If the page comes out wrong, the you have a problem with the drivers installed for the printer. This could be because you had previously had a different printer installed that wasn't properly uninstalled, or the current printer wasn't installed properly (believe it or not, there are a LOT of specifics when it comes to properly installing printer software).

Give the Paint test a try.

6. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

And so you know, the reason I had you use paint is because it is a basic system program that uses the hardware drivers/access to the printer and not the software that came with the printer.

In other words, if paint doesn't work it's definately a problem with your Windows install.

7. jlyn099

jlyn099 Thread Starter

Ok, so I tried the "Paint" test you suggested with the lines and the colors were fine. Then I opened a photo with Paint and printed...not fine. Why would that be different? Really confusing! I have attached a scan of what actually prints and the original jpeg photo file so you can see what is happening. Thanks for your help, let me know what to try next!

Attached Files:

8. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Try this:

Open the original jpeg with paint.
    Go to File>Save As...
    Save it as a bmp or tif.
    Close paint and open the NEW picture file.
    Try printing again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice