1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Woes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CeciliaLibra, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CeciliaLibra

CeciliaLibra Thread Starter

I'm using a 3-year-old HP Deskjet 612C that up until the last few months behaved perfectly.

Now it's giving me no end of trouble. Recently it doesn't seem to be able to feed a page (rollers getting old and shrivelled? It's awfully dry here in the winter) or it just needs endless re-setting.

I have to shut it off, push the ink cartridge to the left until it clicks past something that is obviously hanging it up, restart it, then often do one more step (press the top button) to get it going. And even then, it will stop 5 pages into a job if it feels like it, for no apparent reason.

I've downloaded the most recent driver, but it doesn't seem to help.

Should I give up and just splurge for a new printer (cheaper than taking this one in for a check-up) or is there something else you can suggest?

Thanks!!

Cecilia

2. buf

buf

It "sounds like" it is about to quit on you any day now. I suggest that you consider junking it the very next time that you need new ink cartridges. By doing so, you will escape having to buy those and that will reduce your net overall cost of a new printer. Shop around and you can probably find a good price.
    BTW, I know the little lady in the pink dress is really Celcilia!! Can't fool me :p She is a cutie.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

You could try uninstalling the printer and then reinstalling it.

when it "acts up" again, look in the device manager and see if there's any problems.

4. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

I had a printer that did just about the same thing. To have it fixed cost about more than a new one. Like everjything else, it wears out, the rollers get paper dust on them, the gears wear down, and if it has one, the belt just expands to much. Don't think its a driver problem.

5. CeciliaLibra

CeciliaLibra Thread Starter

I gave up and bought a new printer. Then the old one, of course, started working again, LOL! But only for a little bit. I strongly suspect it has to do with our extremely dry weather (read static and dried out rollers and dry dry paper). Our dewpoints are below zero, so when you warm that air up in your home you've got practically negative humidity. The air literally sucks the moisture out of your skin, your plants, and, alas, your printer.

I'm going to hang on to it, and if it starts working again in the spring, I'll give it to my hubby.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cee

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice