1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Printer won't install on Comcast gateway router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fred615, Nov 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

One of the printers I have that had a wireless connection to my Comcast gateway router, lost its connection last week for no known reason. I have tried numerous times to reconnect, but every time it tries to connect, it returns with “Connection NG”. I chatted with a Brother Customer Service person the other day and they performed an in depth look into the settings in my PC. They told me they found 17 or 18 outside connections (Arizona and PA for instance) to my Comcast gateway router which was preventing my printer from connecting to my network due to router overload. They wanted to connect me up with a vendor who could install an SSL app that would greatly reduce that number of invaders for $2-300 per year. The printer is a Brother Laser MFC-7840W on a WIN 10 PC. There is a perfectly functioning Brother Inkjet MFC-J6530DW still connected to the gateway.

A friend who builds PC’s for friends (he has built 3 for me over the years) recommends I just change the router password and try that. I would, except that I have about 5 or 6 wireless devices hanging on to my system and that could take many hours to reconnect everything with no assurance that it won’t happen again.

So the question I pose is this; If it is possible to set the router to NOT allow GUESTS to connect to my router, would that eliminate all those other foreign connections? If so, how is that done? And can I then change it back when I want to be able to allow my relatives and friends to connect up for a few hours?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8067 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 227 GB (85 GB Free); D: 80 GB (54 GB Free); E: 156 GB (93 GB Free); F: 101 GB (33 GB Free); G: 122 GB (37 GB Free); H: 241 GB (60 GB Free); P: 1863 GB (1695 GB Free); Q: 1862 GB (1504 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B75M-D3H
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please confirm that you are trying to connect to the router using whatever commands/controls are on the printer (which I'm guessing is an all-in-one). This connection, of course, has nothing to do with any computers or other devices unless there are too many already connected to the wireless network.

Are you connecting with a dynamic or static IP address? Have you tried both?

Exactly what do you do when trying to connect?

There is no reason for a printer support person to look at any computer when trying to help get the printer to connect to the router. Was this really a Brother support person, and not one of the fakes?

That makes sense only if there are a bunch of people near you who are using the Guest network. And it shouldn't prevent you from connecting a device to your personal wireless network. If you really suspect too many people connecting to your Guest network then turn it off or ask Comcast how to turn it off or restrict it to a reasonable number of people.

Now, if there are other connections to your personal wireless network you should definitely and immediately change your encryption key.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am suspect that the resolution from 'Brother' is not correct at all. If you are getting outside connections from AZ and PA, then Comcast will need to block that (which most of the time it should be).

If your router does support a second wireless network connection, then I would suggest creating a network with OPEN protocol (no security/password) and then try to get the printer to connect to it. If it does, then it sounds like a configuration issue. You can turn off the second wireless connection as soon as you are done testing this.

4. britekguy

britekguy

I am with @Couriant on this one. I am willing to bet that whatever tech you spoke with was blowing smoke, to put it mildly.

It would take much less effort to reset the router to factory and configure a new WiFi SSID (network name) with a new password and tweak the devices connected than anything else.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    James, what do you think that "outside connections" means?

I don't know, but I made the assumption that it is referring to Comcast's Hotspot Service. And, of course, if that assumption is correct there is no reason for Comcast to block it unless the specific customer (fred615) asks for it to be disabled.

I neglected to say in my original post that the "Brother Customer Service person" did not find these connections with "an in depth look into the settings in my PC." "They" were also nosing around parts of the router irrelevant to the printer issue.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To be clear that means the router's login password, right? Some people might think you mean the wireless network encryption key, but that only protects the wireless network which is only available within a relatively small range. It's the router's login password that I would worry about that "Brother Customer Service person" using in the future.

7. britekguy

britekguy

I mean the whole shebang. I always reset the router admin login password as soon as a router comes out of the box or is subjected to a factory reset, which brings it back to "out of the box" state. Passwords should be something that the end user can easily remember but that virtually no one else could ever guess. I believe I've discussed my Portmanteau Method of password creation on these forums, but if not, a search on that phrase along with password will turn it up in many tech support venues.

I would then establish a new WiFi network with a new password.

Everything about what the OP has said with regard to the outside "help" received raises huge red flags for me. Better to wipe the proverbial slate clean and start again.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My understanding of the original message was that the "connections" were people trying to get (hack) into their network from Arizona or PA. I don't use the hotspot service, but I can assure you that Comcast is not in AZ. This is Cox/BrightSpark terriority.

I think we can all agree that the OP got some bad and unnecessary intel.

I agree that we need to do a factory reset and use a different password

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    o_O That is the first I knew about it... Comcast having only 4 areas? I wonder how Cox feels.... lol I stand corrected. Thank you Terry.

Well Phoenix is Cox.. I would have thought Tucson was too...

11. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

I thought I posted a reply to TerryNet a couple days ago where-in I mentioned that a chat with a Comcast rep ended with deleting my old wireless network and creating two new ones; one for each of the two frequencies. (For some reason, that reply never made it to the website.)

The Comcast rep, after trying one new network and finding that my newer printer installed quickly but my older one would not, thought that maybe the older one would only respond to the older frequency. It didn't so I went back to the Brother folks and got a different rep who noted after trying a few things that I needed to go back to Comcast to make sure that the router was set to DHCP and that the MAC address was correct. So I talked with another Comcast rep and after trying another router reset and validating the suggestions from the Brother rep, gave up and sent a technician to my home. The tech came yesterday and said he has seen numerous occasions where this has happened. After trying to connect the printer and failing, he went back a second time and this time instead of using the TKIP protocol, used the AES protocol and WHAM: it connected immediately!! He said he had a similar problem with his own home network and solved it that way also. So, apparently the Microsoft update (which I had mentioned took place about the time I noticed the problem) was the trigger that disconnected the printer in the first place and it was due to the fact that the printer is 7-8 years old and the older printers are sensitive to the protocol selected. My other printer is much newer, just 2-3 years old so it can handle the other protocols.

Thanks to all for your views and ideas and even though this was a weird little quirk, at least I now have new SSID's and passwords in place, and TWO working printers again..!!

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    TKIP+AES should have been an option... :) well I am glad it has worked out!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice