1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer won't Print

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordanmark, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jordanmark

jordanmark Thread Starter

I have a Microsoft Computer running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have been using my printer with no problems but recently, it stopped working whenever I turned it off and then on again. I would do some things in "Devices & Printers" in Settings and it would start working again... kinda mysteriously.
    Last night I had a power failure, had to reboot & my printer would not work. Nothing I did worked. I did some things in "Devices & Printers" in Settings but nothing worked. I even deleted the printer and tried to reinstall but this did not help. I tried a new driver but this did not help.
    In the troubleshooting section offered on the computer, it would not print a test page. When I tried to print a small WORD document, it asked for information about a fax modem. Nothing I did satisfied this as well??
    My printer is an HP Deskjet932C color printer. Here is my devices page:
    upload_2019-11-26_12-33-50.png

And here is the message I get when I try to print the WORD document
    upload_2019-11-26_12-35-29.png
    My computer is hardwired even though I have Wi-Fi in my home. I use WOW as my internet provider.

Thanks for any help you can provide Mark Jordan

2. britekguy

britekguy

Pay very careful attention to what printer is selected in the Print dialog itself.

What you posted above strongly suggests that one of the "Send to FAX" type printers (and Windows has a built-in pseudo printer of this class) is what's selected in the Print dialog, and if it's not set up correctly, and for most of us it wouldn't be, this is the message you'll get.

Be absolutely certain the Print dialog shows your HP Printer as the printer to print to.

3. jordanmark

Thanks... I went back to ensure that the printer is chosen. Here is the screenshot..
    upload_2019-11-26_14-6-8.png
    Then, when I go to "Find Printer", I get this series of messages
    upload_2019-11-26_14-7-19.png

I have no idea what that means! Thanks for your help.

4. britekguy

britekguy

It appears to me that there are several possible "disconbobulations."

The simplest fix, to me, is:

1. Go to HP's support pages for that model, and download the latest "full suite" software for your multi-function machine. I find getting the full suite, rather than just the drivers, has a tendency to work better and the drivers are part of it.

2. Use the Remove Device option in Devices & Printers to get rid of the current installation for the device. If it complains about there being a document in the queue, then cancel that if you must first.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Reinstall the multi-function suite software. Have the device UNplugged from the machine until either after the install is completed or you get a dialog during the install explicitly telling you to plug it in now.

This takes you back to as clean a state as you're going to get.

SarahSims likes this.
  5. britekguy

britekguy

By the way, your clock is ticking, and loudly, as far as end of support for Windows 7. You should really bite the bullet and do the free (yes, it's still free) upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using these instructions:
    Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the ISO

The steps are precisely the same for an actual upgrade. The only difference is that the process is kicked off from within Windows 7/8/8.1 rather than Windows 10 itself.

6. jordanmark

Hi.... just to give you an update. I did go ahead & install Windows 10.
    I went to the HP troubleshooting website and tried their diagnostics. Each step gave me a message saying the computer could not communicate with the printer. I did correct the dialog box like you noted prior.
    Then I called HP & explained the problem to them. The Tech guy insists, based on the info I provided, that there is a problem with the printer itself. He did not suggest any software fixes and insisted it was hardware!
    He wanted me to purchase a new printer but I told him I wanted to be 100% sure it is the printer before doing that! I guess I will take it to the Geek Squad down the street unless you have any other suggestions at this point?
    Thanks a Lot

7. britekguy

britekguy

All I can say is that it will not be cost effective, in any way, to have any technician try to diagnose what's wrong with a now discontinued inkjet printer, regardless of the maker. And if it is a hardware issue it is virtually certain it will not be fixable.

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales quite literally just days away you would be well-advised to find a replacement for this printer rather than make any attempt to have it fixed.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The Deskjet 932C was introduced in February 2000.
    Source:
    Code:
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2008/deskjet20/bg_deskjet20thannivtimeline.pdf
    You certainly got your money's worth. Time for a new printer. (We have one still working from 1997; 722C) I like it because it will print 8 1/2" x 14" sheets and I need that this year and next year.
    We're very happy with the wireless All in one printer we bought a few years ago. It is not attached to any computer nor our router. It sits down in the basement. I turn it on and can print to it from four different Windows computers (3 on the 1st floor and one in the basement). I also make my own copies as needed instead of running out to use a copy machine.

9. jordanmark

Well, I took your advise... went out & bought a new wireless HP printer for $32 on Black Friday eve! Took a while and did get it running with the help of the HP tech rep but hopefully my problem is over! Thanks for your help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice