1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shoppersany, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shoppersany

shoppersany Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have just reformatted my hard drive. I had a hp psc 1200 series all-in-one printer connected before, and now after i reformated i want to install it, but when i do my printer is not listed? what do i do now, I have the orginal disk for the printer.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Unplug the printer USB cable from the computer.
    Restart the computer.
    After it is restarted,run the installation CD.
    Don't plug in the printer until the installation asks you to.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Just for your information in the future, there should NOT be any unnecessary devices connected to the desktop before you do a hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows.

The monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers(if needed) are the only devices that should be connected to the desktop.

If you have a printer, external hard drive, webcam, and any other optional devices, they get connected and set up afterwards.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site for the HP PSC 1200 printer.

If you no longer have the installation CD for that old printer, you will need to download the software driver package from here.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. shoppersany

hi, now i am having problems with my mouse. this is what happened. i reformatted on Friday, once. then i notice my printer was working, tried to reinstall it but it was not listed, then i reformatted 4 days later, thinking it was the way i reformatted the first time, but not sure. after the 2nd time reformatting my mouse stopped working, ive checked, and plugged everything over and over many times. when i reformatted the 2nd time i noticed that the space on my hard drive c, is only about 50%?????? i have tried for the 3rd time to reformat the hard drive, it won't clear out my hard drive it just goes back to the screen i had before. i know it did because i have a picture on the screen saver, and it goes back to it. how do i completely clear out my hard drive, the reason i did it first was to clear out the hard drive so it would be like new. help!!! writting this message was very hard, because my mouse doesn't work, so i am pressing the tab key to get anywhere. thanks

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    How are you formatting the hard drive before you reinstall Windows XP?

Are you using an actual Windows XP CD and booting from it and getting the Press any key to boot from CD command?

Here is a good pictorial install guide that you might want to get familiar with.

------------------------------------------------------

6. shoppersany

this is how i reformatted the first time i turned to computer on then pressed delete continusouly, then it when into the BIOS, then I put my windows xp cd in the d drive, change the order to boot to cd first then hard drive second. then saved the changes, then it when through all the formatting screens. but the 2nd time i tried to format it didn't go through all the formatting screens, it just booted from the hard drive, which is doing now. what am i doing wrong?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It doesn't matter how many times you do it. The procedure will always be the same.

You boot from the XP CD.

You press any key when the Press any key to boot from CD command appears.

You delete all current partitions.

You current a new C partition.

You format the new C partition in the NTFS file system.

You install XP in C:\WINDOWS.

The entire setup and install process requires 2 restarts.

When the above command appears during each restart, you do NOT press any key.

After the second restart, you remove the XP CD.

-----------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!