1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sisterdear, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sisterdear

sisterdear Thread Starter

All I want to know is which printer is the best to buy, ink wise and trouble free. I'm sure there must be a company out there that makes one. All I am looking for is a Bubble Jet not a laser. Thank you very much in advance
    SW

2. sponsor

sponsor

canon or epson

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Do NOT buy an Epson!!!!!!!!!!!! (n) They are specifically designed to WASTE ink! I will find a link so that you can see the design "under the hood" so to speak. There is literally a sponge inside of the printer and a hose so that all of the wasted ink runs into it! There is also a pump inside which is used to "clean" the print head (which cannot be changed without going to a tech). If you were to install a brand new ink cartridge, and run the "clean print head" feature around twenty times, the entire cartridge would be used up :( Most other brands, for example Lexmark (IBM) will not do this, and they have the print head at the bottom of the ink cartridge. This means that whenever you buy a new cartridge you also get a new PRINT HEAD! This equals cleaner and better prints. The ink cartridges are also easier to refill if you choose to do so. It is almost impossible to refill the new Epson cartridges. The average lifespan on the Epson is around 7 months, if you use it once a week. This is basically due to the design of the print heads, and how dried ink will severely clog them over time. For what it will cost you to repair it you will be able to buy a new one. By the way, the best deal is a Lexmark X1185 at Wal-Mart which has a built in scanner and fax. I think it was around 70 bucks. Hope that helps ;)

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As bad as I hate the company HP has some of the BEST printers going. Reason is that the ink actually lasts more than 50 prints and while the machine costs more on the purchase the refills are much cheaper than lexmark, canon, and the other big names.

HP is a rip off on computers, but their printers are exceptional, as are their keyboards, Too bad you can't just buy the HP keyboard I am using, Phenomenal, but the computer itself sucked.

For a printer I recommend HP. :confused:

5. sisterdear

sisterdear Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info. How many of you fill your own cartridges and if so what have your experiences been with them?
    sw

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I do! (y) :D

The new Epsons you cannot refill yourself, but some places on the internet will sell refilled cartridges. If you buy them in groups of 3 or 4 they are not that expensive. I don't how much ink they use to refill them, as they seem to empty rather quickly, but that's your only option with the Epson or they will leak.

The Lexmark (IBM) is very easy to refill. However since the printhead is built into the cartridge rather than the machine, you can only refill them around 10 times. Not a big deal though unless you are just printing pictures.

The HP is a little harder to fill, but it will depend on which model you get. Some are OK and some are not so OK.

BTW - HSN has a nice Lexmark that has the built in scanner and fax and it also has a $30.00 rebate! I think your final price is around 40 bucks, which is a real bargain considering how well made they are. The printer also has a nice feature where you don't need to leave the printer on all the time. Just click the print button on your computer screen and it will automatically turn the printer on for you, and then turn it off again when it's done (y) :D

If you happen to get ink on your hands when you are refilling, clorox takes it off completely. Just make sure you rinse your hands good after-wards ;)

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Lexmark is a good printer, I am using a Z51 now. The problem with them is high ink usage and high price refills,
    A Rule of thumb is:

Pay for the printer, not the refills.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Heheheh...if you think your Z51 uses up a lot of ink, you should see the Epsons. They are the only printer that comes with a built in sponge to absorb the overload of wasted ink. I used to have a Z51 around 4 years ago and they are nice. Why don't you simply refill the cartridges? It takes only a few minutes and costs pennies (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice