1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printers

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by novelist, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novelist

novelist Thread Starter

Does it pay to try to fix a printer? We have Brother MFC 210C. Tried to fix a paper jam and resulted in message: "Cannot clean ink", and now nothing works. Hate to replace as we have all this ink and I know the workings a bit. However if it needs replacing, can anyone recommend a new one that won't cost a fortune or need pricey ink. Thanks for any help. Ludmilla

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Inkjet printers all require "pricy" ink. :) I'd look for one with the features you desire. I recently was faced with a similar decision, my trusty HP PSC-750 MFC bit the dust after years of faithful service. I got a new HP Photosmart C7280 networked printer/scanner/copier/fAX, great little machine. I hope it serves us the same period of time. :)

3. Wino

Wino

Have heard (can't say fact) that Kodak has come out with a line of printers / all-in-ones that have 'cheaper' ink cartridges with 'better' ink than the competition. The article I read piqued my interest enough that next time I need a printer, intend to check out Kodak.

Article said you get more and better ink for less money and expected the trend MAY cause others to rethink screwing everyone on ink cartridges. Their ink is also said to be a longer lasting photo ink, too. I hope it's all true and someone finally challenges HP and the others on the idiotic rip offs on ink cartridges.

My rant is over. BTW, I use reman and other aftermarket inks, saving enough money that if it screws up my printer after a period of time, I've saved enough money on cartridges to buy a new printer and then some. I have'nt bought an OEM ink cartridge in years.

EDIT: Back to your original question....................if you (personally) can fix the printer, yes. If not, 86 it and buy another.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But in my experience, avoid anything with the name "Brother" on it ...

5. Wino

Wino

I'll second that, and add Polaroid, too.

6. Sid6

Sid6

Add Lexmark also... Canon is good.

7. dccc

dccc

I have a Brother mfc 3220c that is costing me a fortune in ink. Is there another printer that is less costly that is compatible with HP Compaq Presario?

8. Wino

Wino

Try HERE

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to print B/W stuff cheaper per page, go for a laser printer, they're MUCH cheaper for each page as a rule.

10. dccc

dccc

Thanks for the post...your right that website did help, appreciate it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694327