1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printheads Missing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Midnyt, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnyt

Midnyt Guest Thread Starter

I've got a Samsung Smartjet printer, which is perfect. Because it uses Lexmark cartridges which are a bit expensive I've started to refill them. I've done 3 cartridges, and the first one works OK, though it needs some more ink, but when I put the other 2 in, all I get is the message ' Both Printheads Missing'.
    I've cleaned the copper 'contacts' on the bottom and back of the cartridges, but I still get the same message, that the heads are missing.

How can I get out of this problem?

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

That means those are either damaged or the "smart" chip has self destructed (they put the smart chip in specifically so you can't do refills) so you can't use the head anymore.

The only reliable option I've come across is to get some new cartridges.

Cheers

3. slipe

slipe

If you are using Lexmark cartridges you are likely using the Lexmark print heads that come in the cartridges. Since Lexmark lowballs their printer prices to make money on the refills I would suspect your Samsung is a rebadged Lexmark.

To the best of my knowledge, of the major makers only Canon doesn’t put chips in their cartridges. The chips take information from the printer on use and display an estimated ink level. You need a chip for that sort of system to tell it when you put a new cartridge in. Canons actually measure the ink.

Epson started using the chip to disable the printer when the use showed it should be empty. They say it protects them from guarantee work caused by aftermarket inks, but it also increases their income from ink sales. To the best of my knowledge HP and Lexmark haven’t followed suit and set the printer to abort if you try to print with an empty tank.

But it might be a new thing, or something they just do with rebadged printers. It is the only thing I can think of that would cause your indications. You might have difficulty finding out as you would have to find people with your Samsung who refill to be sure. But Lexmark does have a chip in their toner cartridges that disables the cartridge when it is empty and prevents you from refilling, so maybe they are doing it with the inkjets now as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!