1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing and my home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kngsxvigil, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kngsxvigil

kngsxvigil Thread Starter

I have a desktop PC and a Notebook PC that both are running Windows XP Home Ed. I have a Xerox Workcenter M950 printer hooked up to my Desktop PC. I have set up the printer to be shared and I have the two linked via Network crossed cable. The printer/printing dilemna I'm having is that when I try to print from my Notebook to the printer nothing happens, and I can't resolve it through the troubleshooters. BUT, when I power down the Desktop and then reboot it...the job/document then prints. The printer works in every other capacity from my Desktop PC.
    I was running Win 98 on my desktop and had my home network setup then, too. The printer worked perfectly. Only after upgrading has there been this oddity. Could someone please guide me to resolving this issue. I will also post this concern in the Windows XP forum.

2. Rockn

Rockn

What network protocol are you using? Not all printers will print with just TCP/IP you might have to add NetBUEI protocol as well. If you can get away with just installing the driver without all the other printing junk and utilities they ship with printers you will be better off too.

3. kngsxvigil

I'm using TCP/IP...how do I get or install NetBeui....(forgive spelling errors)?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Right click network neighborhood and select properties. Click the Add button and select protocol...then from the list select Micro$oft and the appropriate protocol. You don't need to configure the protocol at all, just install it.

5. kngsxvigil

I am using Windows XP Home and I was told that NetBeui....is not supported on XP.

6. angel

angel

You're correct that Microsoft is no longer support Netbeui. However, they did include it on the XP cd. One the cd, go to \WinXP\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI - you will find a readme file with instructions.

7. kngsxvigil

Thank you....BUT...I didn't get a CD when I purchased my laptop with XP preloaded....and I can't find it on my computer....what next?

8. Rockn

Rockn

I am hating M$ more and more by the day!! They sure make it hard for us to get anything done if there is ever an emergency where we have to reinstall an OS or network stuff. If it was preinstalled they probably put it in a win\cabs folder or something like that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice