Printing & Android

Glenn17

Hi,

I'm new on the site & hope someone can help with this please.

I'm having printing & scanning problems with new android devices & older printer , scanner.

I have the following;

Galaxy A40 phone
Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T720
HP Chromebook AMD A4 32 GB eMMC
Above all fairly new. (I'd like to print from all of these if poss, but there are USB connections on the chromebook so maybe best option)

Then I have the following, older items:
HP LaserJet P1005, USB printer
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500, USB scanner

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Glenn Upton

Glenn17

Poss didnt make it clrar on the above post. I'm unable to print or scan, just cant make the connections or cant find printer etc.

plodr

Liz
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05384190

I have not tried printing from my android tablet (Galaxy) or phone(cheap Samsung). Actually I did try from one tablet and it didn't see the wifi printer even though I was sitting aside of it.
I have two OTG cables so I might give this a try.
I'll report back if it was a sucess or failure.

I'm not sure you will get a scanner to work.

Here is a more complicated method to print with a printer that is not cloud ready. (I was not able to find out if the HP Laserjet P1005 is cloud ready; I got a page not found when I clicked the link.)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02971188

Glenn17

Thanks Lis,
The HP P1005 isn't cloud ready & looking at the HP link, can't be made so.
Thank you for the advice but looks like I'll have to buy a new printer! Yet again get rid of perfectly good equipment, so frustating some times!

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you want to utilize a printer or scanner over the network, there is no choice but to buy a printer or scanner which supports mobile devices. While you can possibly get a printer/scanner to work with a mobile device by directly connecting to it via USB, to me it'll get old quick.

I recently loaded an app on my Samsung S8 from Lexmark which allowed me to print from my phone to my Lexmark CX510de.

I guess to qualify this further. The manufacturer has to put in an ability to support printing from mobile devices. And the method may depend on how new the printer is.

plodr

Liz
Well that was another exercise in frustration. I connected my HP wifi enabled printer by USB cable and an OTG cable to my phone. (I know the wifi works because the printer is not connected to any Windows computer but I can print to it when I select it.)

I chose a gallery picture on my phone, got the HP Print Service Plugin popup and selected ok. I chose landscape, letter size paper, color and got absolutely nowhere after that. Yes the printer was on, yes paper was loaded but absolutely no printing was ever done.

I found it far easier to simply connect the android device to a Windows computer, copy what I want to the computer and print to one of 2 printers I have networked. (One is an oldie from 2003 which still works great.)

I hope you have better luck than me. I have NEVER been able to print a thing from the android devices I've tried.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've found the execution of anything for mobile devices to be very lacking. Even with my Lexmark solution that works, it has a bug. When I first send a job via the app, it fails out. I have to resend it again for it work. Had I just accepted the first error message, I would have thought the app doesn't work. This issue is repeatable. But the problem goes away after a print job goes through successfully. If I send another print job immediately after, there is no error.

I haven't been able to test if the app works for iOS devices. The reason being that stupid Apple assumes everything operates on a flat network. I have my printer on a separate subnet on a dedicated printer VLAN which requires traffic to be routed to it. Because Apple requires discovery via layer 2 broadcast, it breaks. And I'm unable to manually configure an IP address for my iPad mini to send the job. I've heard of businesses with Apple devices having to have to set up a Bonjour relay to get Apple devices to work properly in a normal business network. Now I know why. I haven't been bothered enough to go through the hassle of setting up one yet.

plodr

Liz
I've found the execution of anything for mobile devices to be very lacking.
I'm glad it isn't just me.

I was considering getting a chromebook but when I asked about printing, at another forum, I got no responses. I assume it is as hard to do on that as on my android tablet.
Also, in android, apparently not every program "allows" you to print.
I use print screen, in Windows all the time, no matter what I'm doing (various programs). I can grab what I want and either save as a file or print it out.

Glenn17

Thank you for the replies, but looks like a chromebook is nothing like a pc & android seems to have printing probs all round!

But thanks anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online