1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing causes win98 to crash.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thrasherg, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thrasherg

thrasherg Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, I aplogise in advance if this is a stupid question.. I am fairly new to PCs (have always had macs - wish I still had one!). I am running windows 98SE and have all the latest updates from the microsoft update page. I have my computer linked to a LAN network (lan contains 3 PCs and 1 Mac) with a printer connected to my computer which is avaliable to all computers (printer and file sharing is enabled). Everytime I submit a print job, I get the following crash. I spoke with Epson (had an epson printer) and they tell me its not their software but windows explorer that is the problem. I then installed an HP5100 printer and get the exact same crash, so clearly the problem is with explorer not the printing software. The error message is:-

Explorer
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module SCHOOK.DLL at 018f:5678334f.
    Registers:
    EAX=037dfbcc CS=018f EIP=5678334f EFLGS=00010206
    EBX=830069d8 SS=0197 ESP=037dfbb0 EBP=037dfbd4
    ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=830069d8 FS=978f
    EDX=65732030 ES=0197 EDI=00097dd1 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    66 3b 0a 74 20 66 3b 4a 02 74 17 66 3b 4a 04 74
    Stack dump:
    65732030 56784333 037dffbc 567843c3 037dfbd4 830069d8 00000000 00000000 00000000 037dfbe4 66859347 830069d8 830069d8 037dfd38 00411419 0044e714

I have had this problem for about 1 year and I have to reboot the machine after every print job for the computer to continue working correctly. Can any one tell me the cause? and how to solve it.. I reinstalled windows 98SE completely but still have the problem!!

I also found that if I click on the start menu, then select settings and printers, I get another crash but this time from internet explorer saying that it performed an illegal operation. This happens to all three of the PC machines on this LAN network!! Maybe going to windows2000 will help, but I would love to understand the cause as all 3 machines have exactly the same problem and fail in the exact same way, but it is only linked to the printers and printing, internet explorer works fine for internet access. If I click on the my_computer icon and then select the printer folder, I get the same crash that I have when going through the start menu. I cannot belive my computer is completely screwed up as everything works great, just not the printing.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Gary

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Have you tried updating the printer drivers? I did a search on google for SCHOOK.DLL and the strangest thing was that every single hit was in a foreign language(french mostly) Are you sure your printer is set up for the english language? Check that out first and if not make sure your printer drivers are the latest from Epson.

3. TOGG

TOGG

I have a single '98 computer with a HP printer and I used to get a lot of problems printing, especially when I changed any attributes in the print ie: portrait to landscape or draft to normal quality.

After a lot of fiddling about I found that Windows thought I had two printers not one, and I also discovered that the one in use was using MS drivers. I reinstalled my printer using the HP floppies and haven't had that particular problem since.

Obviously, the situation with a shared printer is not identical to mine but a removal and reinstall might help.

4. thrasherg

thrasherg Thread Starter

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. The drivers are the genuine Epson and HP drivers, according to the HP site I have the latest version and I loaded the latest Epson driver, but no success the computer still crashes in the exact same way.. They are installed in English and according to my printer folder I only have one printer. The hardward manager also only lists one Epson printer!! I am going to try formatting my hard drive and reinstall windows 98.. I hope this will cure the problem.

Gary

5. TOGG

TOGG

That is a radical solution for your problem (assuming it does cure it). I hope you've got that MS CD with all the updates up to October 03, because you will have a lot of updating to do otherwise!.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice