1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing Digital Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by THoey, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THoey

THoey Thread Starter

Okay... I have an Olympus C-4000 digital camera. I recently bought an Epson Stylus Photo 925 photo printer. The best pictures I have been able to print is by taking the memory card and inserting it directly into the printer. Everything I have heard says that it prints faster, if not better if you use the computer to print the pictures. I am trying to printing 4 X 6 pictures.

I printed an uneditted photo from ACDSee and it had about a 2 inch margin around the picture. I printed from the Epson installed software and it also gave me a border, albeit a smaller border. I printed directly from the card (an unedited photo) and the printer gave me a nice borderless print. Today, I took a photo from the camera software (Camedia) and the best I could do was to have 1/4 inch of white paper on the left and right sides of the picture.

What do you use to print your pictures out? Are there any special settings that you use? And... This one will be a pain... Where do you get your supplies? I have already gone through 2+ color cartridges and over 100 sheets of paper. My GF prefers Matte finish, but of the two ON THIS PRINTER, I prefer the color. Anyone use the refill kits?

I know a bunch of questions, but I am newer at this than I was at the camera seven months ago...

2. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Howdy THoey

First question... does the file size your camera takes equate to 4x6 without cropping

When you print from one of your software programs you probably have to tell the printer what paper you are using and tell it to print borderless...this is done from the printer properties screen.

I have an Epson printer ...not the same one but... in properties once I have set everything the way I want it I save it as a custom profile...that way when I go back I just select that profile and the printer changes to those settings

I buy most supplies from http://www.atlex.com/

and from Red River Paper

I have had good luck with both

never tried refills or refilling...I have read that it's not to easy on Epsons

buck

3. slipe

slipe

4 X 6 is the ratio of a 35mm negative. Digital images are in a 3 X 4 ratio. Obviously if you print a 3 X 4 image on a 4 X 6 piece of paper you will either have to lose part of the top and bottom of the image or have white on the ends. Evidently the Epson automatically crops some of the top and bottom of the picture to take the image to the edge. Photofinishers do the same thing. The Camedia software is assuming you want the entire image and doing its best to get the largest possible image on the available paper. Nobody who knows anything about imaging would print directly from the card, so Epson assumes you don’t know how to crop the image and just trims part of the image off for you.

The proper ratio of 4 inch stock is 4 X 5.33 inches. That will give you the entire image on the print. It will also let you print 4 on a single sheet of 8.5 X 11 paper. A paper trimmer pays for itself in a hurry if you print a lot. Put each photo in a corner and you have to trim only the inside two edges. QImage is a good program for setting that up.

Epsons are a bear to refill because they have a chip in the cartridge. When the chip says the cartridge is empty the printer stops printing even if there is ink in the cart. It doesn’t measure the ink level but determines how much ink was used. You have to buy a kit with a reprogrammer for the chip. There are aftermarket replacement carts for Epsons but they aren’t as cheap as they were before the chips.

I have used MIS inks for years in HP and Canon printers and found the quality to be excellent. These aren’t made by MIS but I would trust they are decent as MIS has a good reputation: http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/cartsale.html

4. v6_3500

v6_3500

Hi THoey,

Firstly, on the topic of print size - I agree entirely with Slipe, but would add....

I have an Epson 890 Photo and it has the ability to print to an Epson Photo Glossy Roll (as does the 925, I believe). The roll is 101.6mm (4") wide by 8m long (it may be 10m) - approx. £9 each in UK.

One of the methods I use to obtain 4x6 prints is;

I use ACD Fotoslate 3 with a single borderless 4"x6" frame template.

With ref. to what Slipe says re. 4x6 and 4x5.33, if you increase the length to 6 then the width needs to be 4.5", clearly 0.5" too wide for the roll.

Fotoslate allows the image to be scrolled within the frame. So the excess 0.5" does not have to be cropped, just hidden from view. It can be unequal amounts distributed between the 2 sides affected.

My camera (Canon Powershot G2) produces images that are slightly larger than provided in viewfinder so the 0.5" loss has not been an issue so far.

With borderless printing on 4" wide the only trimming you need to do is 1 cut between images. Paper feed (remember it's glossy and they usually recomend single sheets) is a breeze - it's on a roll. It's the sole reason I still have my Epson (I use Canon S900 also).

FYI;
    Epson also supply a Premium Semigloss Photo paper roll 210mm X 10m which I use to print panaoramic shots (stitched together in Elements 2.0), I would think the 925 can handle this also.

Hope you find this useful it's just my own solution, there may be better.

5. THoey

THoey Thread Starter

Thanks all... I will have to do some searching and playing to get things figured out the way I want.

Why does it seem that the supplies are going to end up costing me more than it would cost to have the pics developed for me? I expected to pay a lot intially, but it seems now that it is still going to cost .30 .40 .50 cents a print. Only benefit is that I'll be able to do it at my convenience... Am I missing something?

6. slipe

slipe

No – you aren’t missing anything. Epson ink costs are a little better than HP but not nearly as low as Canon. Even with a Canon you are going to pay about as much as you would at the photofinisher if you use individual 4 X 6 paper.

I refill both my HP 930 and my Canon S9000 so ink costs are low. I use MIS ink for the HP and have for about 6 years or so, and use Inkjet Goodies for the Canon since it is highly recommended by many at dpreview. I use mostly Red River paper and sometimes they have decent sales. I can print 4 X 5.33 prints for less than a nickel, but it is a hassle to trim them. I put a bright light under the edge of the trimmer so I can quickly align the edges. Epsons can be refilled but they increased the difficulty level with the chip.

CompUSA has half price on all photo paper with a coupon you can print: http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/h...m&cm_cat=em_092103&cm_pla=allcusa&cm_ite=dkad Combine that with the MIS cartridges and printing might not hurt so bad. You will likely have to profile or adjust for the aftermarket ink though. Even with the best it isn’t exact.

7. THoey

THoey Thread Starter

Thanks Slipe!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice