Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Printing Envelopes on Hp Office Jet 4630 in MS Word

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Keebellah 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure this problem falls in your services. I am trying to print Christmas 5" x 7" envelopes but my printer, HP OFFICE JET 4630 sends me a message that the paper is too short. Surely there should be a work around for this problem. I hope somebody there is familiar with this issue and can give me some idea of what to do. Thanks for any help you can give.

#7 ·
Thank you for responding. Yesterday I did get one envelope to print but the type was too high and to close to the stamp. Since then I received your response and I downloaded the the support article.The system seems to have several different ways to print these envelopes but so far nothing works properly. The article shows the envelope centered between the guides, face down, flap on top. But when I try that I get a message " you have changed HP's defaults please push reset. When I do tthat the settings change and I get one of several responses. They say things like " printer needs your attention, or please remove the paper and start again, or the paper is too small Does anyone know what 5 X 7 = in millimeters. Another thing I have been told is that if the card goes into the printer long way then you have to change the actual width of 5 x7 to be what would normaly be the height 7" and width 5". I'm trying to give you all the information I have and hope you can help me arrive at a solution.. Thanks.

#6 ·
I had a quick look at the documentation that was linked and while 5" x 7" photo paper is supported, I did not see that size listed for envelopes.

Envelope type​
Size​
6 3/4​
93 x 165.1 mm (3.66 x 6.50 in)​
A2​
111.1 × 146.1 mm (4.38 x 5.75 in)​
C5​
229 x 162 mm (9.0 x 6.4 in)​
C6​
114 x 162 mm (4.49 x 6.38 in)​
Card Envelope​
111 x 152 mm (4.4 x 6 in)​
DL​
110 x 220 mm (4.33 x 8.66 in)​
Japanese Envelope Chou #3​
119.9 x 235.2 mm (4.72 x 9.26 in)​
Japanese Envelope Chou #4​
90 x 205 mm (3.54 x 8.07 in)​
Monarch​
99 x 190.5 mm (3.9 x 7.5 in)​
US No.10​
105 x 241 mm (4.12 x 9.5 in)​

What option in the print settings are you selecting?

#13 ·
The envelope that I was able to print yesterday (even though it didnt'[ rpint quite correctly, )was put in on the left side, long way, face down with flap to the right. Since it was not quite right I tried to change the sizing but the printer would not allow it. It told me to reset.

#12 ·
Unfortunately I am still using Word 2010. I am 84 years and not doing much on the computer any more. However, my left hand, which I write with, shakes a lot, and I don't think I can write my Christmas Cards and thought if I could print them I'd be quite happy. Does anybody know if there is any app that could handle this for me. I'd appreciate all input. Thank you.

#14 ·
the original layout called for short edge in first. The quide doesn't move from left side to right. The guide only uses both guides when the envelope is to be centered. When I try to print as the layout shows I get an error message about "paper size" and am told to reset.

#16 · (Edited)
Let's try this, place the envelope in the tray short edge.All guides touching.
Click on start, type in "control panel"(without the quotes). Click on devices and printers.
Right click on the printer and left click on printing preferences
Click on the paper/quality TAB
Click on advanced down the bottom
Click on the drop down arrow next to paper size
choose 5x7in (do not worry that it does not show as envelope).
Click ok, Click ok again. You should be back to Devices and printers.
Either close or minimize control panel device and printers
Test
Do not worry if the print is out of position that can be changed.
Also keep your test envelope to put back through again instead of wasting them.
If you still get an error
In word change your envelope size to B6 125 x 176mm = 4.9 x 6.9in

#17 ·
The misunderstanding is that a paper name, lijke envelope or photo can be misleading. I had a similar issue with by Brother printer and printing a Photo on photo paper (postcard) it kept saying that the paper size was not supported, then I just changed it to A6 and print as photo and it worked.

#18 ·
While I'm sure you'll be able to get it to work with the help you're receiving I just wanted to mention that another option would be to use Avery labels that come in sheets to print the addresses. Word 2010 supports the templates. You can get bigger ones for the address you're sending too and smaller ones to print your return address on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.